In this brief guide, we will answer the question, “How long does Irish cream last?” and methods to store and prepare Irish cream.
How long does Irish cream last?
Irish cream lasts for two years. If Irish cream is stored in the fridge, it can stay for at least six months.
|Shelf-life of Irish cream (opened)||6 months||6 months|
|Shelf-life of Irish cream (Unopened)||Approximately 3 months||6 months|
|Homemade Irish cream||3 months||Approximately 5-6 months|
Once opened, it is essential to use the Irish cream within 6 months. Homemade Irish cream does not last as long as the commercially prepared Irish cream. Store the homemade Irish cream for 3 months though it can last in the refrigerator for six months.
The shelf-life of the liqueur also depends on the brand of the liqueur. The shelf-life of a few brands of Irish creams is given below.
|Brand of Irish cream||Shelf-life of unopened Irish cream|
|Bailey’s Irish cream||Approximately 2 years|
|Kerrygold Irish cream||Approximately 2 years|
|Five farms Irish cream||Approximately 3 years|
|Merrys Irish cream liqueur||Approximately 18 months|
|Tequila Rose strawberry cream liqueur||Approximately 3 years|
|Saint Brendan’s Irish cream||Approximately 2 years|
What exactly is Irish cream?
Irish cream is a liqueur made out of cream, Irish whiskey, cocoa, and other flavorings. Irish cream can contain an alcohol content of about 17-20 percent depending on the brand or the recipe.
How to detect if Irish cream is spoilt?
- Look at the best by date or the expiry date to determine the shelf-life of store-bought Irish cream. It is better to avoid using Irish cream after two months.
- Irish cream has a sweet smell. If you smell a foul or sour odor, it is better to discard it.
- Irish cream has a beige color. Any discoloration on the Irish cream is a sign of spoilage and it is better to discard it.
- If there are signs of curdling in the liqueur, it is yet another indicator of spoilage. Lumps or chunks in the cream would indicate that the Irish cream has aged and is not fit to use.
How to store Irish cream?
It is important to use Irish cream immediately after you open it up. Store it at a temperature of 0 to 20℃.
- If Irish cream is about to be kept in a pantry, remember to store it in a cool and dark area. High temperatures can accelerate the deterioration of the cream. So keep Irish cream away from sunlight.
- Make sure to close the lid of the Irish cream bottle tightly after using it. This will reduce its exposure to air. After using the liqueur, clean the mouth of the bottle before closing it. This will prevent the growth of bacteria in liqueur.
- It is recommended to store the Irish cream in the fridge than in the pantry. This will help in conserving the flavor of the liqueur.
- Avoid storing Irish cream close to the door of the fridge as that area is subject to frequent changes in the temperature.
- Avoid transferring Irish cream from its original bottle. Homemade Irish cream can be kept in glass bottles.
Can Irish cream be kept in the freezer?
Yes, Irish cream can be kept in the freezer though it is not usually recommended. You can prepare ice cubes using this liqueur. Make sure to add a little bit of milk to the ice trays to reduce the freezing point.
Freeze Irish cream overnight and you can use the cubes in your coffee or add it to cocktails. You can also use it to make popsicles, icecreams or add it to milkshakes.
Freezing Irish cream for a long time can lead to the formation of lumps in liqueur. This would also change the texture of the liqueur making it undesirable to consume.
Keeping Irish cream in the freezer can help in cooling the drink quickly. Remember to do this for only half an hour as there is an increased risk of a bottle breaking.
Other FAQs about Irish cream you may be interested in.
How to prepare Irish cream at home?
- 1 ½ cup heavy cream
- 1 ½ cup Irish whiskey
- 1 tsp instant coffee granules
- 1 tbsp chocolate syrup
- 1 ½ cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- In a blender, combine all the heavy cream, Irish whiskey, coffee granules, vanilla extract, chocolate syrup, and condensed milk.
- Blenderize the mixture for at least 40 seconds. Store it in a refrigerator or consume it immediately.
In this brief guide, we have answered the question, “How long does Irish cream last?” and methods to store Irish cream.