In this brief article, we will answer the question how long does eggplant last, we will also explain its health benefits and three ways to store it.
How long does eggplant last?
Eggplant remains safe on a counter for four to five days and almost two to three weeks in a refrigerator. If eggplant is cut in slices, they remain safe for only 30 minutes in an open environment before browning happens.
Eggplant is a brinjal plant species which is known for its characteristic taste and flavor. It is edible in nature and used as a vegetable in cooking. It is actually a berry fruit but used as a vegetable, when consuming it make sure it is free from blemishes and bumps
Health benefits of eggplant:
Eggplants are consumed all around the world for its taste. It is used as a vegetable in cooking, in salads and other various ways. Eggplant is not only a delicious food but it is also quite healthy. Some of its health benefits are:
- Eggplant is a great source of many vitamins and minerals including vitamin C, vitamin K, vitamin B. It also provides a significant amount of potassium, magnesium, niacin, thiamin, phosphorus, copper, fiber, folic acid and manganese.
- Eggplants are healthy vegetables that are also good for digestion. Eggplants are a crucial element of diet and improve the functioning of the digestive system. It helps smoothen the working of gastrointestinal tract and helps improve it.
- It improves the health of the heart and has a great effect on cholesterol level. As it is rich in fiber, it improves the digestive system and also lowers the cholesterol level in body, thus indirectly affecting heart health
- Eggplant prevents the occurrence of cancer as it helps improve body defense mechanisms. It works by providing antioxidants and manganese. These components ensure that organs are protected and working properly
- The color of eggplant is attractive but other than catching attention it is also useful in improving bone health. It is used to reduce osteoporosis, makes bones stronger, and increases bone density. It also provides iron and calcium to help in proper functioning of bone
Shelf life of eggplant:
Eggplants don’t have a shelf life of months or years but they are like any other fresh vegetable. If stored properly the shelf life of eggplant is as long as three to four weeks. Fresh eggplant stays safe for five to six days on the counter.
A whole eggplant when stored in the fridge stays safe for seven to ten days. Cut eggplant when left open on the kitchen counter and turn brown after half an hour. But if it is placed in the fridge the shelf life increases to three to four days in proper storage conditions.
In case you have cooked eggplant but you don’t want to consume it immediately, you can store it in the fridge. But remember not to leave it open on the counter or near any heat source. In fridge cooked eggplant remains safe for three to five days
How to store eggplant?
Eggplants don’t have a long shelf life and they start to rot if not properly stored. To avoid that you need to store them properly. Before storage you also need to choose the best vegetable that is firm to touch, don’t have any bruises and soft spots.
Proper storage of eggplant depends on the conditions of eggplant before the storage, if it is rotten before it might not stay safe even later. It is best to carefully buy your vegetable, then store it properly. The way to store an eggplant properly are:
The best place to store eggplant is a cool, dark and dry place. A kitchen pantry or counter is the best place to store fresh eggplants. You can also store it at room temperature or in a fridge.
Make sure to keep eggplant in a well ventilated place with no direct exposure to sunlight. As it has tendency to ripe even after harvesting make sure to keep it away from ethylene producing food like bananas
Freezing eggplant is another option if you want to preserve it for a long time. The best way to freeze eggplant is by freezing it as a whole in an airtight container. Some ways to freeze eggplant are:
- Blanching the pieces of eggplant and freezing them in freezer bags or airtight containers. In this case flash freezing is needed and eggplant is placed in the freezer after that.
- Another way is to freeze cooked eggplant with other ingredients. This is the easiest method as it does not require any extra effort. You just have to place the whole dish in an airtight container and freeze it.
In this brief article, we have answered the question how long does eggplant last, we have also explained its health benefits and three ways to store it.