In this article, we will answer the question “How long does dal last in the fridge?”, and how to make lentil dahl?
How long does dal last in the fridge?
If stored correctly, dal lasts about 5-6 days in the fridge. To make the dal last longer, let it come to room temperature before refrigerating and store it within 2 hours of cooking.
Lentil dahl recipe
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 onion diced
- 2 cm (0.8 inches) ginger root grated
- 2 cm (0.8 inches) turmeric grated
- 1 green chili stemmed, deseeded, and minced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon ground
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups (500 ml) vegetable stock
- ½ can (200 ml) coconut milk
- 1 cup (150 grams) lentils red
- 1 tablespoon cilantro leaves fresh
- In a pot, heat oil and sizzle cumin seeds. Then stir in the diced onion and saute until it’s soft and translucent.
- Then add the grated ginger, turmeric, chili, and garlic to the pot. Saute for an additional 1 minute or until fragrant.
- Stir in the curry powder, cinnamon, and salt. Cook for 20 seconds. Mix in the rinsed and drained lentils. Then pour the stock.
- Stir in the coconut milk and simmer on low heat, with the lid on, for about 20 minutes.
- Keep stirring the mixture after every 5 minutes to prevent the dhal from scorching.
- Finish off with chopped fresh cilantro or parsley leaves on top. Serve with basmati rice and naan or chapati bread.
- Use minced green chili or serrano pepper for a spicy flavor. For a mild flavor, opt for jalapenos.
- Substitute fresh turmeric with 1 teaspoon of dried ground turmeric.
|Saturated fat||1 g|
|Vitamin C||8 mg|
How to tell if cooked lentils are bad?
- The surface of fuzzy colored spots on the surface of cooked lentils is a sign that the lentils have been contaminated with mold/fungi. Always inspect the cooked lentils for spoilage before reheating and discard if moldy.
- The weird smell of the spoiled lentils never goes unnoticed. Pay attention and discard the cooked lentils if they smell off.
- Do not keep the lentils in the fridge for more than a week. This applies even if the lentils look, smell, and taste good. This is because the spoiled lentils may contain toxins that are not visible to the naked eye.
How to store cooked lentils?
Cooked lentils should be stored in an air-tight container or a lidded pot. Before you pack the lentils in the storage container, make sure they cool down and reach room temperature.
However, do not leave your cooked lentils cooling on the counter for hours. Refrigerate your cooked lentils within 2 hours of preparation.
Can you freeze cooked lentils?
Whether it’s lentil soup or a cooked lentil dish, lentils freeze pretty well. Make sure the lentils come down to room temperature before you pack them away for freezing.
Almost all types of lentil soups freeze well. However, it is a good point to check the ingredient list of the lentil soup to take any extra freezing steps if required.
One tip to safely freeze lentils soups is to leave out the fresh herbs. Add the herbs after you have defrosted and reheated the lentil soup. Defrost the lentil soup by leaving it in the fridge overnight. Add a splash of water to the lentil soup for reheating.
How long do dried lentils last?
If the lentils are kept in a dry, dark, and cool place, they stay good for about 2-3 years. If stored correctly, dry lentils do not go bad even after 5 years. However, older lentils have a poor nutritional profile. Vitamins and other nutrients of the lentils degrade over time.
The best-by-date printed on the package of the dry lentils is only an indicator of the best quality and not safety. It is an estimation made by the processor of how long the product will remain in its best quality. The bottom line is that the lentils do not necessarily go bad after the printed date.
Do dry lentils go bad?
The pantry bugs are a sign that the lentils are spoiled. Discard the lentils that have been infested by pests.
Discard the moldy lentils even if the mold is isolated to a single spot. Mold in lentils appears when the lentils are exposed to moisture. If the dry lentils give off a sour or weird smell, they are done for.
In this article, we answered the question “How long does dal last in the fridge?”, and how to make lentil dahl?