In this brief guide, we are going to answer the question “how long does cooked corn last” with an in-depth analysis of the shelf life of cooked corn in different conditions. Moreover, we are going to discuss the proper way to freeze cooked corn and whether or not you should refrigerate a reheated cooked corn.
So without much ado, let’s dive in and figure out more about it.
How long does cooked corn last at room temperature?
Cooked corn lasts for about 2 hours when left at room temperature. The bacterial growth takes place at a faster pace between 40°F and 140°F so if cooked corn is kept out for more than 2 hours, there is a great chance that bacteria and other microbes will find their way to it and will spoil it.
How long does cooked corn last in the fridge?
The cooked corn lasts for about 3-5 days in the fridge if stored properly at or below 40°F in an air-tight container or plastic zipper bag.
What is the optimum temperature to store the cooked corn in the fridge?
You should always store your cooked corn at 40°F or below in the fridge. Bacterial growth takes place at a faster pace between the temperature of 40°F and 140°F, therefore it is always advised to store cooked corn at a lower temperature to preserve its freshness and quality for a long time.
How long does cooked corn last in the freezer?
The cooked corn lasts for about 10-12 months in the freezer if stored properly in an air-tight container, plastic freezer bag, or heavy-duty freezer container.
Thus storing the cooked corn properly in the freezer will increase its shelf life considerably owing to the cool temperature of the freezer that halts the bacterial growth on the cooked corn.
How to freeze the cooked corn?
So firstly you have to blanch the corn which halts the activity of the enzymes present in the corn. For blanching, put the corn in the boiling water for some time (4-5 minutes) and afterward place it in a bowl of cold water to cool it down thoroughly. Dry it with a paper towel and afterward store it in a plastic freezer bag.
You can read more about blanching here.
How long does cooked corn last after being frozen and thawed?
Frozen cooked corn that is thawed in the refrigerator can stay there for 3-4 days before reheating but the cooked corn that is thawed in the microwave or a bowl of water should be reheated and consumed immediately.
Can I refrigerate the reheated cooked corn?
So once you have reheated the cooked corn, you should never refrigerate it. As when you reheat the corn, its temperature rises more than 40°F and we know that bacteria grows at a faster rate between 40°F and 140°F. So the bacteria will find their way to your cooked corn and you should never refrigerate the reheated corn.
How to tell if the cooked corn has gone bad?
You can tell if your cooked corn has gone bad by considering its appearance, texture, and smell.
- If you see some mold, on the cooked corn then it is an indication of spoiled cooked corn.
- If you notice that the cooked corn has a slimy texture, then it is the indication that your cooked corn has gone bad.
- If you notice some off-smell (rotten or moldy smell) or something that does not quite smell like cooked corn then it means that your cooked corn has gone bad and you should discard it.
What will happen if you consume spoiled cooked corn?
Consuming spoiled cooked corn can put you at the risk of many food-borne illnesses especially food poisoning which is characterized by vomiting, diarrhea, nausea, and abdominal cramps.
Tips to store cooked corn in the fridge
- The cooked corn should be stored in an air-tight container or plastic zipper bag in the refrigerator.
- You should let the cooked corn cool down thoroughly before storing it in the air-tight container or plastic zipper bag. If you store hot cooked corn in an air-tight container then moisture will build up in the container and will provide a suitable environment for microbes to grow that can spoil the cooked corn.
- You should always store the cooked corn at or below 40°F in the refrigerator.
- It is recommended to store your cooked corn container on one of the shelves of the fridge rather than the door, as there is a lot of temperature fluctuation at the door of the fridge.
- Never leave your opened cooked corn on the kitchen counter for more than 2 hours or else the bacteria and other microbes will contaminate it.
In this brief guide, we answered the question “how long does cooked corn last” with an in-depth analysis of the shelf life of cooked corn in different conditions. Moreover, we discussed the proper way to freeze cooked corn and whether or not you should refrigerate a reheated cooked corn.