In this brief article, we will answer the question, “how long does coffee last?”. We will also discuss in detail, the shelf life, and storage methods of different types of coffee.
How Long Does Coffee Last?
Coffee, the dry goods (coffee beans, coffee grounds) can be preserved for several weeks, months, or even years if it is handled with care during storage. Coffee may be stored securely for a long time provided it is kept dry, cold, and out of direct sunlight. However, this does not mean that it will stay fresh for an extended time.
It will gradually lose its wonderful scent and taste qualities as time progresses. Given that coffee continues to deteriorate as it ages, the fresher the coffee is purchased, the better the taste will be.
STORAGE AND SHELF LIFE OF COFFEE
The storage and shelf life of coffee beans, grounded coffee, brewed, cold-brewed, and instant coffee are given below.
When it comes to coffee beans, how long do they last in the cupboard?
- In the cupboard, an unopened bag of coffee beans can last 6 to 9 months.
- For about 6 months, an open bag (stored properly).
How long can you keep coffee beans in the fridge or freezer?
- If the bag of beans is not opened, it can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 years.
- 1 to 2 years if opened and stored properly.
What is the Shelf Life of Coffee Grounds?
- The fact that coffee grounds have a greater surface area than coffee beans means that they do not last as long as coffee beans.
- If the components in coffee are exposed to air, light, heat, and moisture, the fragrance and flavor of the coffee will be reduced.
When it comes to coffee grounds, how long do they last in the cupboard?
- Coffee grounds, open or unopened, can be stored in the cupboard for up to three months if stored properly.
In the fridge or freezer, how long do coffee grounds last?
- It is widely believed that when properly stored, whether open or unopened, it can last up to 5 months.
For the best flavor, how long should you keep coffee grounds?
- For the best flavor, use the grounds as soon as possible after the roast date, ideally within one week for a pound of coffee.
How Long Does Brewed Coffee Last?
- When people inquire about the shelf life of coffee, they are typically referring to freshly brewed coffee. Brew coffee has the shortest “shelf life” of all
- When it comes to how long brewed coffee will last, there is a range of opinions, but these are the most often accepted. These values are for black coffee; as you add milk or cream, the condition shifts dramatically.
When it comes to brewed coffee, how long does it last on the counter?
- If left on the counter, brewed coffee should be consumed within 12 hours.
How long can you keep brewed coffee in the fridge or freezer?
- Brewed coffee can be kept in the fridge for 3 to 4 days.
- Brewed coffee could last much longer in the freezer as ice, but put it in a freezer-safe Ziploc bag as soon as it was frozen to avoid picking up flavors/aromas.
Other FAQs about Coffee which you may be interested in.
How long should cold brew coffee be kept?
- It becomes somewhat more complicated when it comes to cold brew coffee. Cold-brew coffee can be stored in the refrigerator for up to two weeks if the container is tightly packed before use.
- Cold brewed coffee has a distinct flavor profile from hot brewed coffee since it is made using cold or room temperature water. It is often sweeter and does not have the bitter flavor characteristics that might accompany freshly brewed coffee that has been allowed to cool down. Because cold brew coffee is a concentration, the flavor of the coffee lasts for a longer time.
How Long Does Instant Coffee Last?
- Instant coffee is brewed coffee that has been dehydrated. Its estimated expiration date is the longest of any type of coffee.
- Instant coffee can last up to 20 years after its best before date, whether opened or unopened (and stored properly) in the cupboard or fridge.
How Do You Know If Your Coffee Is Bad?
You will be able to determine whether your coffee has gone bad based on the appearance and smell of the cup of coffee.
If there is any visible or odorous evidence of mold, do not use the products. It is advisable to discard the whole contents of the bag or container, regardless of whether the date of expiration has passed.
It is also a clue that your coffee has degraded if you notice that it has lost its full, rich fragrance. It will become increasingly difficult to smell the delightful scent of the oils as they begin to deteriorate, suggesting that the oils have started to go rancid.
Is It Possible to Get Sick From Expired Coffee?
If the expired coffee has developed mold or has been affected in some other manner, you may feel unwell.
If you eat significant quantities of expired coffee, it will not make you sick or force you to go to the toilet, but it may create various health concerns if eaten in large quantities (if it has been contaminated by mold growth or rancid oils).
In this brief article, we answered the question, “how long does coffee last?”. We also discussed in detail, the shelf life and storage methods of different types of coffee.