How long does cheesecake last in the fridge?
In this brief guide, we are going to answer the question “how long does cheesecake last in the fridge” with an in-depth analysis of the shelf life of cheesecake in different conditions. Moreover, we are going to discuss the ways to spot a bad cheesecake and the tips to properly store cheesecake.
So without much ado, let’s dive in and figure out more about it.
How long does cheesecake last in the fridge?
The homemade cheesecake lasts for up to 5 days in the fridge if stored in an air-tight container at or below 40°F. On the other hand, the store-bought cheesecake lasts for about 5-7 days if stored properly in the fridge.
Moreover, you should store the cheesecake with an air-tight lid on it, to prevent it from picking up the smells of other food items present in the fridge.
You can read how to make a delicious cheesecake here.
What are the factors that affect the shelf life of a cake?
There are a variety of factors that affect the shelf life of the cake.
- The presence or absence of icing/frosting
- The type of icing/ frosting
- The sell-by date on the cake (in case of store-bought cake)
- The preparation method of cake and the ingredients used to make the cake
- The storage conditions
What is the optimum temperature to store the cheesecake in the fridge?
You should always store your cheesecake at 40°F or below in the fridge. Bacterial growth takes place at a faster pace between the temperature of 40°F and 140°F, therefore it is always advised to store cheesecake at a lower temperature to preserve its freshness and quality for a long time.
How long does cheesecake last at room temperature?
Cheesecake lasts for about 2 hours when left at room temperature. Cheesecake is made from cream cheese which is a highly perishable commodity so if it is kept out for more than 2 hours, bacteria and other microbes will find their way to the cheesecake and will spoil it.
How long does cheesecake last in the freezer?
The cheesecake lasts for about 2-3 months in the freezer if stored in an air-tight container. Moreover, if you want to freeze the cake it is the best practice to store it without any frosting or icing. In case if you have already frosted the cheesecake, wrap it in the plastic wrap or cling film and afterward store it in an air-tight container in the freezer.
A store-bought unopened cheesecake can even last for 6-8 months in the freezer.
How to defrost the cheesecake?
You can defrost your frozen cheesecake by leaving it in the fridge overnight. Afterward, let it come to room temperature by keeping it on the kitchen counter before consuming it.
How to tell if the cheesecake has gone bad?
If you notice that your cake crust has become all soggy and wet this means that your cheesecake has gone bad. Moreover, if you spot a mold on your cheesecake, or if the color of the cheesecake changes to a more brownish one then it is the indication of a bad cheesecake.
If you smell something foul or sour while taking a sniff test then it is also an indication that the cheesecake has gone bad.
Last but not least if your cheesecake edges are all dried up, it is also an alarming situation.
How to store cheesecake properly in the fridge?
- The cheesecake can pick up odors therefore it should be stored in an air-tight container in the fridge. Moreover, the air-tight container will also ensure that air won’t find its way to your cheesecake, thereby preserving its freshness for a long time.
- The cheesecake should be stored away from strong-smelling food items like garlic, onion, fish, etc.
- The cheesecake should be stored on the lowest shelf of the refrigerator as it is the coldest part of the refrigerator and has its temperature between 38 °F to 40 °F.
- Never leave your cheesecake on the kitchen counter for more than 2 hours or else the bacteria and other microbes will contaminate it.
- It is better to store the cheesecake without any icing or frosting in the freezer. You can put the icing after you defrost the cheesecake.
- It is better if you store your cheesecake slice by slice rather than the whole cake, this way you won’t have to take out the whole cake platter again and again out of the fridge to get yourself some cake.
- While you are out shopping, cheesecake should be the last item that you buy so that it will retain its cold temperature for long and by the time you reach home your cheesecake will still be fresh.
Other FAQs about Cheesecake that you may be interested in.
Can you eat gu cheesecake when pregnant?
Can I bake my cheesecake again
Can you eat cheesecake when pregnant?
In this brief guide, we answered the question “how long does cheesecake last in the fridge” with an in-depth analysis of the shelf life of cheesecake in different conditions. Moreover, we discussed the ways to spot a bad cheesecake and the tips to properly store cheesecake.
How Long Does Cheesecake Last in the Fridge?