How long does cannabutter last in the fridge?
In this brief article, we will answer the question, “How long does cannabutter last in the fridge?” methods to store cannabutter, methods to detect spoilage as well as a technique to prepare cannabutter at home.
How long does cannabutter last in the fridge?
Cannabutter can be kept for 2-3 weeks in the fridge. You have bought cannabutter in bulk, it is better to store them in the freezer. In the freezer, the cannabutter can last for 5-6 months.
What exactly is cannabutter?
Cannabutter is butter that is unsalted and contains cannabis. Cannabis flowers or the parts of the cannabis plant are used to prepare Cannabutter. The butter can be made out of milk but there are also vegan varieties available too.
Cannabutter has been widely used in restaurants wherein cannabutter is legal. Cannabutter can also be added to mac and cheese, toast, brownies, or coffee.
How to store cannabutter?
- Keep the cannabutter away from light and heat.
- Cannabutter can be stored in the fridge by placing it in an airtight container.
- If you wish to prolong the shelf-life of the butter, you can store them in an opaque container. Wrap the butter first in parchment paper before storing it in the container and placing it in the freezer.
- If you wish to store cannabutter for a long time, place it in the ice cube trays and place wrap them in parchment paper. The butter wrapped in parchment paper can then be placed in a plastic bag and kept inside the freezer.
This way you can take the amount of cannabutter that you require and the rest of the cannabutter can remain safely in the freezer.
- Avoid using dirty spoons or vessels to scoop out the cannabutter. Before using the butter, you can try reheating the butter at a temperature of 212 degrees Fahrenheit to kill the microbes.
- If the cannabutter is placed in a container, make sure to seal it properly to minimize the cannabutter’s exposure to light, moisture, and heat.
- Though the cannabutter can last long in the freezer or the fridge, it is better to finish them up as early as possible because cannabutter can turn rancid. Rancidity can make the cannabutter undesirable to consume.
Also, condensation in the fridge can spoil the butter too.
How to detect spoilage in cannabutter?
- If the cannabutter develops mold, it is better to avoid using it.
- Spoilt cannabutter can develop a rancid smell. Sometimes it gives off a fermented fruity odor. Both are signs of spoilage.
- Check the expiry date of the cannabutter, if it is bought from the store. If the cannabutter has passed the date of expiry, it is better to avoid consuming them.
- If you find bugs or bacteria present in the cannabutter, you can discard it.
Can you prepare cannabutter at home?
Yes, cannabutter can be prepared at home. It is not that difficult to make and is a cost-effective technique.
- 1 cup cannabis
- ¼ cup of water
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- It is essential to expose cannabis to high heat. This process is called decarboxylation. Exposure to heat converts cannabis which is in an inactive form to cannabis in an active form. For this purpose, preheat the oven at 245 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Break down the weed into smaller and smaller pieces. Line the tray with parchment paper. Place the tray containing weed into the oven for 30-35 minutes and keep stirring it in between.
- After 30-35 minutes, place the weed aside to cool and grind the weed using a grinder. Avoid grinding it extremely fine as the flavor would not be too good then.
- On a stovetop, heat the saucepan. Place the butter, water, and weed in the saucepan and gently stir them. Do this on medium heat.
- After a while, lower the heat and let the mixture heat up till it reaches a temperature of at least 160 degrees Fahrenheit. If the mixture is too thick, you can dilute it by adding a little more water.
- Let the mixture simmer for at least 2 hours and in between keep stirring the mixture so that the mixture does not end up burning.
- After 2 hours, switch off the heat and let the mixture cool for a while. Using a strainer, transfer the mixture into an airtight container after it cools.
Cannabutter can also be prepared in a slow cooker. You would have to just set the slow cooker to a lower setting and then stir it in between while cooking. The rest of the process would remain the same.
In this brief article, we have answered the question, “How long does cannabutter last in the fridge?” methods to store cannabutter, methods to detect spoilage as well as a technique to prepare cannabutter at home.