In this brief article, we will answer the question, “How long does camembert take to cook?” methods to cook camembert with and without the wooden box.
How long does camembert take to cook?
Camembert takes 15-20 minutes to cook. Baking camembert can take it for at least 12-15 minutes to cook.
What is camembert?
Camembert is a type of soft cheese that was originally prepared from unpasteurized cow’s milk in the Normandy region of France. It has a pale yellow color with a creamy and buttery flavor.
How to cook camembert at home?
Baking camembert is the quickest way to prepare this recipe. For baking, you would require a wooden box, few spices, extra virgin olive oil, and some herbs.
- 1 camembert cheese along with the wooden box
- A pinch of chili flakes
- A pinch of pepper
- One sprig of rosemary
- 1 tbsp honey
- Salt flakes to taste
- Preheat the oven at 180℃. The baking tray should be kept on the middle shelf of the oven.
- Remove the plastic cover out of the camembert and keep it in a baking pot or a wooden box.
- In the rind of the cheese prepare a cross-hatch pattern. Pour honey and extra virgin olive oil over the cheese. Sprinkle a few rosemary leaves onto the cheese as well.
- Add salt flakes, chili flakes, and pepper over the cheese. You can add garlic or thyme as well for more flavoring.
- Bake the cheese in the oven for at least 12-15 minutes.
- Take the cheese out of the oven and serve it.
What are some tips to remember while baking camembert?
- The cheese usually comes inside a box with plastic wrapping. Do not remove the box but remove the plastic wrapper before baking it. If you do not remove the wrapper, the cheese can spread all over while baking.
- Wrap the box containing cheese with good foil and place it on a baking sheet. This would prevent the cheese from spreading all over.
- The temperature of the oven while baking should be between 160-180℃ and not more than that.
- The crosshatch pattern on the cheese should be made using a sharp knife. This will prepare the air to get out of the cheese.
- Do not bake the cheese for more than 15 minutes as above 15 minutes the cheese can become hard instead of soft. If the cheese turns soft before 15 minutes, you can take out the cheese.
- The wooden box in which the cheese is kept should be held with staples and not with glue or plastics or else the box can melt easily in the oven.
- Using a spoon, you can detect how soft the cheese has become. The texture of cooked camembert should be hard on the outside and soft on the inside. If you feel it is not baked well, place it back into the oven and bake for 3-4 minutes.
- Immediately serve the camembert after baking. If you store it instead of consuming it, the texture and flavor of the cheese could get affected. You can serve camembert with veggies, fruits, or garlic bread.
You can also serve it with red, rose, or white wine.
- If after consuming camembert there are a few leftovers remaining, keep them in an airtight container. If you want to consume them later, reheat for 3-5 minutes in an oven.
- Buy unpasteurized cheese for preparing the recipe.
- The rind of the cheese can dry the cheese out. As a result, certain recipes might suggest getting rid of the rind or using herbs like rosemary to make the cheese softer. It is your choice to keep the rind or remove it.
Other FAQs about cheese that you may be interested in.
How to cook camembert without the box?
If you did not obtain camembert in a wooden box or if the wooden box was damaged, you can bake camembert wrapped in aluminum foil.
- 1 container camembert
- Few thyme leaves
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 garlic clove (minced)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Separate the camembert from its plastic wrap and keep it in aluminum foil.
- On the top of the camembert, make slits. Place the minced garlic inside the slits. Add thyme leaves over the top of the camembert.
- Wrap the camembert properly in the aluminum foil.
- Bake the cheese for 12-15 minutes to make it soft and creamy.
- Remove the cheese from the oven. Unwrap the cheese from the top.
- Pour olive oil onto the cheese. Serve it with garlic bread.
In this brief article, we have answered the question, “How long does camembert take to cook?” methods to cook camembert with and without the wooden box.