In this brief guide, we are going to answer the question “how long does buttercream icing last in the fridge” with an in-depth analysis of the shelf life of buttercream icing in different conditions. Moreover, we are going to discuss the proper way to thaw the frozen icing and the tips to properly store the buttercream icing.
So without much ado, let’s dive in and figure out more about it.
How long does buttercream icing last in the fridge?
Buttercream icing lasts for about 1-2 weeks in the fridge if stored in an air-tight bag or air-tight container at or below 40°F.
You should always store it in an air-tight container to preserve its freshness and flavor for a long time.
A cake with buttercream icing lasts for about a week in the fridge if stored properly with an air-tight lid on it.
What is the optimum temperature to store buttercream icing in the fridge?
You should always store the buttercream icing at 40°F or below in the fridge. Bacterial growth takes place at a faster pace between the temperature of 40°F and 140°F, therefore it is always advised to store buttercream icing at a lower temperature to preserve its freshness and quality for a long time.
How long does buttercream icing last at room temperature?
So buttercream icing lasts for about 2-3 days when left at room temperature in an air-tight container. This seems to be quite a long time but you need not worry as the air-tight container won’t allow the air to get into your icing, thereby prolonging its shelf life. Moreover, the buttercream icing has a high-fat content that keeps it from getting spoiled at room temperature for a long time.
How long does buttercream icing last in the freezer?
Buttercream icing lasts for about 3 months in the freezer if stored in an air-tight container or plastic zipper bag.
How to thaw the frozen buttercream icing?
It is recommended to thaw your frozen buttercream icing by leaving it in the fridge overnight. Afterward, bring it to room temperature before using it.
How to get rid of air bubbles present in the thawed buttercream frosting?
So once your thawed buttercream icing reaches room temperature re-whip it by using a hand whisk or an electric whisk to get that fluffy buttercream again. By whipping the buttercream icing you will get rid of all the bubbles present in the icing and all you will get is smooth and fluffy buttercream icing.
How long does frosted cake last in the fridge?
The frosted cake lasts for about 3 days in the fridge when stored properly at or below 40°F. If you have some strong-smelling food item present in your fridge then you better wrap your cake in a plastic wrap or cover it with an air-tight lid.
Why does buttercream icing crusts overtime?
So if you leave your buttercream icing in the fridge without covering it, it will get exposed to air that will result in that crusting of buttercream icing owing to its high sugar content.
How to tell if the buttercream icing has gone bad?
If you feel something sour or acidic after tasting a bit of your buttercream icing then it is the indication that your buttercream icing has gone bad. Moreover, spoiled buttercream icing will also change its color over time, and become watery, so if you see a discoloration then it is the indication of bad buttercream icing. If you spot a mold on your icing, it is an indication that you should get rid of the icing.
Moreover, if your buttercream icing is curdled or has lumps present in it, then it is an indication of bad buttercream icing.
If you smell something foul or sour while taking a sniff test then it is the indication that the buttercream icing has gone bad.
How to store buttercream icing?
- Buttercream icing can pick up odors therefore it should be stored in an air-tight container or bottle in the fridge. Moreover, the air-tight container will also ensure that no air will find its way to your buttercream icing, thereby preserving its freshness for a long time.
- Buttercream icing should be stored away from strong-smelling food items like garlic, onion, fish, etc.
- It is better to store the buttercream icing on a shelf of the refrigerator rather than the door as there is a lot of temperature fluctuation at the door of the fridge and that can negatively impact the quality of buttercream icing.
- Buttercream icing should be stored on the lowest shelf of the refrigerator as it is the coldest part of the refrigerator and has its temperature between 38 °F to 40 °F.
- When you are ready to use your refrigerated buttercream icing, let it first come to room temperature and afterward use it. Once the buttercream has come to room temperature, all you gotta do is to whip it using a hand whisk or the electric whisk, and voila! You have your fluffy buttercream.
In this brief guide, we answered the question “how long does buttercream icing last in the fridge” with an in-depth analysis of the shelf life of buttercream icing in different conditions. Moreover, we discussed the proper way to thaw the frozen icing and the tips to properly store the buttercream icing.