In this article, we will answer the question “How long does broccoli last in the fridge?” methods to store broccoli and detect spoilt broccoli.
How long does broccoli last in the fridge?
Broccoli can last in the fridge for 7-10 days. The shelf-life of broccoli also depends on the condition of the broccoli while it was being purchased. It also depends on whether the broccoli was cooked, fresh, or fresh cut.
|Type of broccoli||Shelf-life in the refrigerator|
|Fresh||Approximately 7-10 days|
|Cooked||Approximately 2-3 days|
|Fresh cut||Approximately 3-5 days|
Fresh, cooked, and freshly cut broccoli can last in the freezer for a year. Cutting off the florets of the broccoli can reduce its shelf-life to 3-5 days.
How to store broccoli?
- Avoid storing cooked broccoli at room temperature for a long period of time as microbes can spoil broccoli quickly. If the broccoli is cooked, it is better to store it in the refrigerator.
- Avoid storing broccoli extremely close to the moisture. If you plan to cook broccoli, clean it properly before cooking.
- If you store broccoli in the pantry for long, it can become limply. In such a scenario, place the broccoli in a bottle containing water to rehydrate it.
- Keep broccoli away from fruits like pears, bananas, or apples as fruits contain ethylene which can hasten the spoilage.
- If you have bought broccoli in a plastic bag and place it in the fridge, condensation occurs and few drops of moisture would be observed inside the bags. It is important to provide air circulation.
In such a case, use a knife and make cuts on the bag close to the florets. This will promote air circulation and prevent the broccoli from going bad.
- While storing the broccoli in the fridge, you can place broccoli in a wet paper towel and place it. You can also store it in a container filled with water to slow down the spoilage.
- Place the cooked broccoli in an airtight bowl to prevent excess exposure to moisture in the air. You can also wrap the broccoli in aluminum foil.
How to detect spoilt broccoli?
- The fresh ones have a greenish color. Once spoilt the color of the broccoli would change to yellow. You can remove the yellow parts of the broccoli and consume the rest. If the entire broccoli has turned yellow, you can throw it away.
- Broccoli contains good levels of sulfur. When it starts spoiling, broccoli develops a rotten smell. In such situations, throw it away.
- Broccoli can turn soft or loose after a while. In such a case, you can place it in water to freshen it a bit. This though is only a temporary remedy. Once the broccoli starts becoming slimy, it is better to discard it.
Sliminess is an indicator of spoilage and the broccoli has begun to rot.
- Mold can get formed on broccoli irrespective of whether it was cooked or uncooked. If you observe white mold or black and brown dots on the florets, it is better to discard the broccoli.
Avoid trying to remove the mold and consuming the rest of the broccoli as it would be unsafe to consume.
- If the broccoli is fresh, the stem of the broccoli would have a greenish color. Once it starts becoming spoilt, the broccoli stems would turn slimy and soft, losing their firmness.
Can you freeze broccoli?
Yes, you can freeze broccoli. You can freeze both fresh or cooked broccoli. Raw broccoli though can become slimy or give off a bad odor after it is thawed. In such situations, blanch the broccoli before keeping it in the freezer.
After blanching, you can cool the broccoli by placing them in cool water. Using a towel, dry the broccoli and place it in an airtight pack. Squeeze the air in the pack before storing them.
You can wrap the broccoli in a cookie sheet to prevent the broccoli from pressing against each other. Pre-freeze the broccoli and then place them in freezer bags or airtight containers to freeze them.
You are planning to feed broccoli to your baby, divide the broccoli into smaller sections. Place them in icecube trays and this way you would freeze smaller portions of broccoli as required.
You can also feed your baby broccoli purees. You can dilute the puree by mixing it with formula or breast milk and freeze it in small airtight containers.
Avoid defrosting broccoli in an oven. Instead, thaw it at room temperature. If you are about to prepare broccoli soup, there is no need to thaw it. Instead, boil it for 5-10 minutes.
Other FAQs about Broccoli that you may be interested in.
In this article, we have answered the question “How long does broccoli last in the fridge?” methods to store broccoli and detect spoilt broccoli.