In this article, we will answer the question “How long does Boy Choy last in the fridge?”, and how to store Bok Choy?
How long does Boy Choy last in the fridge?
Bok Choy will last 3-4 days in the fridge If stored correctly. Freezing is a good option If you want to extend Its shelf-life.
What is Bok Choy?
Boy Choy is also known as Peking’s cabbage, Pak Choi, or Chinese white cabbage. It is a leafy green vegetable, has a white bulb on the bottom, dark green leaves, and long slender stalks like celery.
It grows around the year. However, Bok Choy that grows in the winter season tastes sweet and has a very crisp texture. It is commonly used in Asian cuisine.
Bok Choy is considered a superfood because It is rich in beta carotene, folate, glucosinates, and calcium. The glucosinates have excellent anti-cancerous properties.
How to store Boy Choy?
Wash Bok Choy
Wash Bok Choy like lettuce leaves. Rim the base and separate the stalks. Rinse and wash each stalk thoroughly to remove surface dirt.
If you are working with baby Bo Choy, first cut it in half or quarter lengthwise, leaving the right bottom intact. Wash it under running water and use a soft vegetable brush to remove stubborn dirt.
After washing, strain the Bok Choy in the colander and pat dry using a paper towel. Then store it or use it in cooking.
Storing Bok Choy in the fridge
Store in a zipper bag
Washing prior to storing Bok Choy in the fridge is a big no as It leads to rotting. Just put the Bok Choy as is in the plastic zipper bag. Poke holes in the bag to allow for air circulation and chuck it in the fridge. Consume within 3-4 days.
Wrap in a paper towel
- Trim the base, separate the leaves and keep the white stalks. Now fill a bowl with cold water. Submerge the leaves in the water. Rinse them thoroughly and remove the excess water. Pat dry the leaves with a paper towel.
- Once the leaves are completely dry, roll them up in paper towels and put them in a plastic zipper bag. Put the bag in the crisper drawer of the fridge. Consume within 5-6 days.
Place in water
In a jar, add plenty of ice-cold water. Submerge the stalks in the cold water and put them in the fridge. Consume within 1-2 days.
Freezing Bok Choy
- Wash the Bok Choy prior to blanching. In a pot, add plenty of water and bring it to a rolling boil. Add Bok Choy into it and hold it in for 2 minutes.
- After 2 minutes, remove the Bok Choy from the hot boiling water and dunk it in ice-cold water to halt the cooking process.
- Remove the excess water in a colander and pat dry using a paper towel. Put the dried Bok Choy in a freezer bag. Squeeze out the air and chuck it into the freezer.
Freezing without blanching
- To freeze Bok Choy without blanching, first, remove the surface dirt from Bok Choy using paper towels.
- Then trim the bottom of the vegetable, separate the stalks and wipe the dirt off the vegetable using a damp paper towel.
- Then chop the stem and leaves and toss them in the freezer bag. Remove air from the bag, seal it tight, and put it in the freezer.
Pressure canning Bok Choy
- Before pressure canning, first, blanch Bok Choy by the method mentioned above. Then stuff it in a sterilized jar, add boiling water into it leaving an inch and a half headspace.
- Close the lid of the jar and place it in the pressure canner. Hold a pint-sized jar for 70 minutes on a pressure of 11 pounds in a dial-gauge canner.
- Remove the jar and store it at a cool and dry place for up to a year.
Drying or dehydrating Bok Choy
Bok Choy can be dehydrated in two ways.
Place the clean Bok Choy in the food dehydrator until the leaves turn brittle. This takes about 8-10 hours at 140℉.
Spread the Bok Choy on the baking tray and let it dry in the oven. This method will take longer than drying in the dehydrator.
How to tell If Bok Choy is bad?
- If the leaves have wilted and lost their crunch, discard Bok Choy.
- Similarly, If the stalks develop a rubbery or chewy texture, It is time to toss the Bok Choy in the bin.
In this article, we answered the question “How long does Boy Choy last in the fridge?”, and how to store Bok Choy?