In this article, we will answer the question “How long does beef broth last in the fridge?”, and how to tell if the beef broth is bad?
How long does beef broth last in the fridge?
An opened can of beef broth stays good for about 4-5 days in the fridge. The homemade beef broth has a shorter shelf-life. It does not have preservatives added, therefore, will only last 3-4 days in the fridge. To extend the shelf-life of homemade broth, It is recommended to store it in the freezer.
|In the pantry||In the fridge|
|Canned beef broth (unopened)||Bets by+1-2 years|
|Canned beef broth (opened)||4-5 days|
|Homemade beef broth||3-4 days|
- Never buy a suspicious can. If the tops look bulged out or If the can is leaking or has rusty patches, do not buy. An off-flavor, sour smell and mold growth in the form of green little spots floating over the broth are also a sign of spoilage.
- If the homemade beef has been in the fridge past 6 days or Its store-bought counterpart has been sitting in the fridge for more than a week, they are no longer safe for consumption.
How to store beef broth?
A store-bought unopened can of the beef broth should be stored in a cool and dry place away from heat and direct sunlight. Pantry or a kitchen cupboard are good storage areas.
Once opened, the broth should always remain tightly sealed in the fridge. For this, transfer the contents of the can to a mason jar or any other air-tight container.
If the seal is absent or broken, make a makeshift seal by covering the container with a piece of plastic and securing it with rubber bands.
To store store-bought frozen broths, follow the package guidelines. They are either supposed to be stored in the fridge or the freezer.
Can you freeze beef broth?
Yes, you can freeze beef broth. In fact, It is a great way to extend its shelf-life. An unopened can of broth lasts quite a long time, so, It need not be frozen. Our primary concern is to store the leftover broth.
Leftover beef broth can be either frozen in an air-tight container or an ice-tube or muffin tray If you need small or medium portions of beef broth respectively when cooking.
Never thaw the broth on the counter or at room temperature as It makes the broth susceptible to the growth of bacteria to unsafe levels. The best way to defrost beef broth is overnight in the fridge.
Other FAQs about Beef which you may be interested in.
How to make beef broth?
- 4 pounds meaty beef soup bones (beef shanks or short ribs)
- 3 medium carrots, cut into chunks
- 3 celery ribs, cut into chunks
- 2 medium onions, quartered
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 3 bay leaves
- 3 garlic cloves
- 8 to 10 whole peppercorns
- 3 to 4 sprigs of fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Cold water
- Preheat the oven to 450℉.
- Bake soup bones for about 30 minutes in a roasting pan without covering them. Then add vegetables like carrots, celery, and onions and bake for another 30 minutes. Remove the excess fat by draining.
- Remove the bones and vegetables from this mixture using a slotted spoon. Transfer them to Dutch oven. Add warm water to the roasting pan and scrape the browned bits stuck to the pan. Transfer this juice to the Dutch oven.
- Add some water to cover the solid contents. Then add seasonings as per taste.
- Bring this mixture to a slow boil, it will take about 30 minutes. Then reduce the heat and simmer this mixture, uncovered, for 4-5 hours. Remove the skimming foam produced during the process. You can replenish the water during the first 2 hours of simmering to cover the contents.
- Let the broth cool down. Transfer the cool broth to an air-tight container and store it in the fridge for 3-4 days or for 4-6 months in the freezer.
The following nutrition information applies to a single cup of broth.
|Fat||10 g (4g saturated fat)|
|Carbohydrate||6 g (3g sugar, 2g fiber)|
In this article, we answered the question “How long does beef broth last in the fridge?”, and how to tell if the beef broth is bad?