In this brief guide, we are going to answer the question “how long does a carton of coconut milk last” with an in-depth analysis of the shelf life of a carton of coconut milk. Moreover, we are going to discuss the shelf life of canned coconut milk along with ways to spot bad coconut milk.
So without much ado, let’s dive in and figure out more about it.
How long does a carton of coconut milk last?
An unopened carton of coconut milk lasts for about 3-4 weeks if it is properly stored and if the carton is undamaged. On the other hand, an opened carton of milk lasts for about 7-10days if it is stored in the fridge at or below 40 degrees Fahrenheit.
Coconut milk is a good source of vitamin D and vitamin B12. But when it comes to the protein content of coconut milk it provides only 1 gram of protein per cup and it is also low in calcium. As no milk or milk products are used in its formulation so it does not have lactose, whey protein, or casein protein present in it which makes it suitable for people with lactose intolerance, milk allergies. As it is a plant-based milk variant, therefore, it can also be utilized by vegans and vegetarians.
It is also worth mentioning that different variants of coconut milk are available in different packages. Thicker coconut milk is regularly utilized in culinary applications. It is mostly used in making soup and sauce recipes that require coconut milk in the base. Moreover, it is also used to make a lot of tasty pastries. Thicker coconut milk has a relatively high-fat content. It is mostly available in cans in the market.
Thinner coconut milk has a lot of water additionally added to it. It is frequently utilized as a milk substitute by individuals who are lactose intolerant or have gone vegan. Thinner coconut varieties are often available in aseptic, shelf-stable cartons in the market.
As it is a valuable food commodity therefore care should be taken while handling and storing coconut milk. While talking about the processed coconut milk you should always keep an eye on the best before or the expiry date written on the label of your milk carton.
How long does a can of coconut milk last?
An unopened can of coconut milk can last for about 2-5 years in the refrigerator when stored at or below 40 degrees Fahrenheit. On the other hand, the opened can of coconut milk can last for up to a week while stored in the refrigerator properly.
How to spot bad coconut milk?
- If you see some mold in your coconut milk, or some chunky appearance (which is an indicator that your milk has started curdling), then the best thing you can do is to get rid of it because it is an indication that your coconut milk is going bad.
- A sour smell is an indication that your coconut milk has gone bad and you should discard it.
- The coconut milk is normally white so if you see the hues of darker color in your coconut milk then it means that the coconut milk has gone bad.
- We never recommend you to use tasting as the criteria to check if your coconut milk has gone bad but if you still want to try this, then you will feel off-flavors and even something bitter or acidic when tasting coconut milk that has gone bad.
- Last but not least if the carton has some leakage or the coconut milk can has some dent then it is better to get rid of that carton or can of coconut milk as microbes could have found their way to the coconut milk via these spots.
How can I store coconut milk?
The best way to store an unopened can or carton of coconut milk is to keep it in a cool, dry, and dark place away from direct sunlight. You can store it in the cool dry part of your pantry or it is even good if you can store it in the refrigerator.
You should always store the opened coconut milk in an air-tight container so that it won’t pick up the smell of any other food present in your fridge. Coconut milk tends to pick up the smell of other foods therefore you should avoid storing it with strong-smelling foods like garlic, cheese, onion, and fish, etc.
You should never open a coconut milk carton beforehand. Moreover, you should refrigerate the coconut milk as soon as you open the carton and should consume it within a week.
You can even store the coconut milk in an air-tight container or zip lock bag in the freezer to further prolong its shelf life.
In this brief guide, we answered the question “how long does a carton of coconut milk last” with an in-depth analysis of the shelf life of a carton of coconut milk. Moreover, we discussed the shelf life of canned coconut milk along with ways to spot bad coconut milk.