In this short article, we will provide an answer to the question “how long do sweet potatoes last?” In addition, we will go over the shelf life of sweet potatoes as well as the best ways of storing them.
How long do sweet potatoes last?
When stored in the pantry, uncooked sweet potatoes will keep for about two weeks. They may survive for up to a month if the temperature is less than that of the room temperature.
When it refers to sliced sweet potatoes, if they are kept correctly, they may keep for up to a week or more in the refrigerator. Nonetheless, for the sake of quality, It is recommended that you use them in a day or four.
Nonetheless, for the sake of quality, It is recommended that you use them in a day or four.
Next In the refrigerator, they will last approximately three to five days. To keep them for an extended time, place them there in the freezer and be sure they are well wrapped in cling film.
The same restrictions apply to sweet potato-based prepared meals, such as casseroles, that are baked.
|Fresh sweet potatoes||2 – 3 weeks|
|Cooked sweet potatoes||3 – 6 days||1 month+|
How Can you find that your Sweet Potatoes Are Bad?
Sweet potatoes, like other root vegetables, can deteriorate if left out for an extended length of time.
The appearance of growths from its “eyes” is the very first indication that the grade is starting to degrade. It does not indicate that the sweet potato has gone bad, and it is still palatable at this stage.
It is also important to note that tiny brown or black stains on the sweet potato may not always signal that it has gone bad. You may boil the remainder of the sweet potato once you have removed the spots and enjoyed it.
The one exception is mold patches; when a sweet potato has also started to mold, it should be discarded.
If a sweet potato begins to deteriorate, it will shrivel (as seen in the picture above) due to the loss of moisture in the vegetable. After that, the vegetable will get mushy and become brown or black. Sweet potatoes should not be consumed after they have started to shrivel, and they should not be consumed beyond this stage.
Other FAQs about Potatoes which you may be interested in.
Sweet Potatoes: How to Store Them?
Temperatures below freezing or over 100 degrees Fahrenheit are not conducive to growing sweet potatoes. They become hard on the inside when they are exposed to cold, and the flavor may be somewhat altered. Tiny holes develop within the sweet potatoes as a result of the high temperatures. Some people refer to such potatoes as “spongy,” although the correct word is “pithy” (as in “pithy pith”).
If you want to chop your sweet potatoes ahead of time so that they are set to be cooked when you get home from work, you may do it without difficulty.
Immediately after slicing the potatoes, place them in a sealed container full of water and place them in the vegetable drawer of your refrigerator. The vegetables should remain OK for a few days in the refrigerator, but it is better to consume them before 24hrs.
Alternatively, you may wrap the veggies in paper towels or aluminum foil and then store them in the refrigerator for later use.
Cooking sweet potatoes and storing them in the fridge are two different things. Allow them to cool for a short time before placing them in the refrigerator.
Store them in small sealed bottles or freezer packs to keep them fresh. The same is true with baked sweet potatoes, which must be refrigerated after being cooked.
Is It Possible to Freeze Sweet Potatoes?
The freezing of sweet potatoes is another method for storing them.
While it is possible to freeze uncooked sweet potatoes, it is preferable to freeze cooked sweet potatoes for the best results. Furthermore, since they have already been cooked, you can simply thaw and reheat them until they are ready to serve.
Here’s an example of one way of storing sweet potatoes in the freezer:
- Sweet potatoes may be baked, steamed, or roasted. It is entirely up to you whether to chop them or leave them intact.
- Make meal-size portions of the vegetables by dividing them in half. The task is made considerably simpler when the potatoes are chopped into strips or fries.
- Allow the sweet potatoes to cool to room temperature before serving. 30 – 40 minutes should be more than enough, or even less if you have already chopped them.
- Place the vegetables in freezer bags to keep them fresh. If necessary, mark the packages with the recipient’s name and the date.
Defrosting of Sweet Potatoes
- Microwave. You may utilize the microwave to thaw and heat the potatoes at the same time.
- Pan with nonstick coating. Put it on slow for another few minutes to thaw it, and then turn it up a notch for reheating it.
- If you are using them in a broth, you may put them in frozen if you like. To accommodate for the frozen vegetables, increase the cooking time by a few minutes.
- Allow thawing completely in the refrigerator before reheating with the remainder of the vegetables.
In this short article, we provided an answer to the question “how long do sweet potatoes last?” In addition, we discussed the shelf life of sweet potatoes as well as the best ways of storing them.