How long do strawberries last? (3 ways to store)
In this brief article, we will answer the question how long do strawberries last and three ways to store strawberries
How long do strawberries last?
Fresh strawberries last for one to two days if left on the counter and for Five to seven days when refrigerated. If strawberries are cut and stored in refrigeration they stay good for one to three days.
Strawberries are hybrid species with a characteristic aroma, flavor and bright red color. It is a widely consumed fruit which is consumed for its flavor and nutritional benefits
Nutritional benefits of strawberry:
Strawberries are an excellent source of vitamin C and manganese, which contain a large amount of folates. It is rich in minerals like potassium, manganese and calcium. It has antioxidants that make it good for consumption and healthy for our body
Strawberries are good as they increase the good cholesterol, also called HDL. It helps lower the blood pressure of the body and guard the body against cancer. It is rich in antioxidants, cholesterol free, sodium free, and fat free which makes it the perfect diet.
Shelf life of strawberries:
Strawberries are juicy fruits which are consumed all around the world. They are healthy little pocket sized berries. The shelf life of strawberry depends on the way they are stored. Fresh strawberries when harvested have a shelf life of one to two days without refrigeration
Refrigerating fresh strawberries without cutting them increases the shelf life to five to seven days. If you store cut strawberry pieces in a refrigerator the shelf life decreases to one to three days. The shelf life of fresh cut strawberries without a refrigerator is not more than one day.
Strawberries remain safe for a longer time if stored in a freezer. The shelf life of whole strawberries stored in a freezer is six to eight months. In the case of cut strawberries the shelf life in a freezer is almost three to four months.
How to store strawberries:
Strawberries have a varying shelf life depending upon the storage conditions. In general strawberries last for one to two days when stored in the pantry. There are many ways to store strawberries properly including refrigerating it, freezing it, and freezing it’s extract.
Strawberries are refrigerated in the form of slices or as a whole. Refrigerating strawberries increases the shelf life to three to four days. The way to refrigerate strawberries is:
- Thoroughly clean and wash the strawberries in warm water to remove all the impurities and dirt
- Soak the clean strawberries in water and add 1 part of white vinegar in it per seven parts of water
- Spread the washed strawberries on a kitchen paper towel, and dry them. This will absorb the surface moisture to avoid condensation
- Place the strawberries in an airtight container or bag to refrigerate it
Freezing any fruit improves the shelf life of to several months but due to high levels of moisture they are also at risk of freeze burn. To avoid freeze burning of strawberries it is best to whole strawberries in freezer bags.
In the case of sliced strawberries, the way to freeze is by putting them in bags and then in a container. The extra covering of the container avoids loss of moisture. Even though the quality of strawberry does not remain the same after freezing its shelf life increases to six to eight months.
Freeze strawberry syrup:
Freezing the extract of a fruit increases the shelf life of fruit to one year or more, if the freezing conditions are not changed. To freeze strawberry syrup, you can add sugar in it. This is done by following method:
- Prepare a mixture of boiling water and sugar in the ratio of 1:4 with 1 cup water and 4 cups of sugar
- After boiling, place the mixture in refrigerator to cool it down
- Place the strawberries in freezing bags or freezer friendly containers, add the cold mixture in it
- Leave head space for air exchange, as things expand in freezer
Other FAQs about Strawberries which you may be interested in.
How to pick sweet strawberries
Can strawberries cause diarrhea?
How to tell if strawberries have gone bad?
Strawberries are juicy fruits used all around the world. It is used as topping, in milkshakes and smoothies and other edible dishes. Just like any other fruit it also goes bad if not stored properly. The spoilage of strawberry is recognized by following ways:
- Visible mold on the surface of fruits is the most important indication of spoilage. A mold spoiled fruit should not be consumed in any way
- Strawberries have a bright red color, its discoloration is a major indication of dehydration and spoilage.
- If there are brown or black patches on strawberry, it also shows the strawberry has gone bad
- The odor of strawberry is a major indication of its spoilage and freshness, fresh strawberries have a characteristic aroma while bad strawberries have pungent odor
- The texture of spoiled strawberry changes to mushy or shriveled
In this brief article, we have answered the question how long do strawberries last and three ways to store strawberries