In this brief article, we will answer the question, “How long do pancakes last in the fridge?” methods to reheat pancakes, store them, and detect spoilage in the pancakes.
How long do pancakes last in the fridge?
Pancakes can last for around 2-3 days in the fridge. If the pancake batter is prepared using flour, eggs, and milk, it can last for 2-5 days in the fridge too. The pancake batter also needs to be refrigerated especially if it is prepared using perishable ingredients.
Avoid placing pancakes for more than two hours at room temperature. Even though pancakes do not go off, they can definitely become dry. It is better to store them in the fridge if you are not planning on consuming them.
How long are pancakes good for at room temperature?
The USDA does not recommend leaving any food product out at room temperature for more than 2 hours. This is because bacteria multiplies rapidly at this temperature. Consuming pancakes that have been left out in the open is not free from danger.
How to reheat pancakes?
If you wish to reheat the pancakes, you can place them in a microwave-safe bowl and reheat them in a microwave. Place the pancakes between two paper towels. You can reheat four pancakes each at a time for 15-20 seconds.
If you wish to reheat them in an oven, preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. On a baking sheet, place the pancakes and reheat them in an oven.
You can also use a toaster to reheat the pancakes. The toaster might brown the pancakes but this would not affect the flavor of the pancakes.
How to store pancakes?
- Store pancakes in an airtight container and then place them in the fridge. This will protect it from air and moisture.
- You can also store the pancakes in the freezer. If you have prepared a bulk of pancakes, place them in freezer bags and into the freezer. Frozen pancakes have a shelf-life of 2-3 months.
- If you have freshly prepared pancakes and they are warm, make sure to cool them down before placing them in the freezer. If your freezer has an instant freeze option, you can utilize them.
- If you have pancake batter remaining with you, wrap them in plastic wrap and store them in an airtight container in the fridge. Place the pancake batter in the fridge and avoid it from picking up any smell.
You can also place the pancake batter into a ziplock bag. This would prevent the air from getting into the batter and help in storing the batter effectively.
If you have prepared a large bulk of pancake batter, you can store them in an old bottle or even an old ketchup bottle.
- Avoid keeping pancake batter for more than 24 hours as it would make less fluffy pancakes. Use them up immediately.
- Place the pancake batter away from strongly odored foods as it is quick to absorb odors.
- Avoid storing pancakes along with their toppings as they are likely to become soggy.
- If you are planning to store the pancakes in the freezer, opt for ziplock bags than an airtight container. Also, check whether the ziplock bags contain any tears or dents as this would cause the pancakes to develop freezer burn.
- You can also try to vacuum seal pancakes to make them last longer. Vacuum sealing helps in sucking the air out of the package and helps in making the pancakes last longer.
- If you have to store a bulk of pancakes you can try using a cake keeper. A cake keeper will help in storing many stacks of pancakes.
- Place a wax paper in between the pancake layers. If you have a 5-inch pancake, the wax paper should be 6 inches. This wax paper will help in preserving the texture and flavor of the pancake.
You can also use this wax paper while freezing the pancakes.
- If you wish to store the pancake batter for a long time, you can prepare them using yeast rather than baking powder.
How to detect spoilage in pancakes?
- If you have not added any citrus food items in the pancake but still it gives a citrus smell, it is likely to not consume it.
- If you have observed mold formation on the pancakes, do not consume them.
- If the pancakes taste stale, you can avoid consuming them.
Other FAQs on pancakes that you might be interested in.
How long can pancake batter be kept at room temperature?
If the pancake batter contains perishable items like milk or eggs, it is not advisable to keep them at room temperature. If you have bought readymade pancake mix from the store, check the ingredient list of the pancake batter mix.
If the pancake batter mix has an expiry date, it would be better to abide by the expiry date.
In this brief article, we have answered the question, “How long do pancakes last in the fridge?” methods to reheat pancakes, store them, and detect spoilage in the pancakes.