In this article, we will answer the question “How long do fried eggs last?”, and how to store and reheat fried eggs?
How long do fried eggs last?
Leftover fried eggs or cooked egg dishes last 3-4 days in the fridge.
What can you make with eggs?
Eggs are super versatile when it comes to cooking or baking. For example, you can use the eggs to make a frittata, quiche, breakfast casserole, fried eggs, scrambled eggs, omelet, boiled eggs, and poached eggs.
You have a variety of ways to cook fried eggs. For example, you can make the classic sunnyside up, over-medium eggs with a runny yolk, over-easy with a nudge of softness in the yolk center, and last but not the least, the over-hard fried eggs.
Over-hard eggs are the easiest to handle and store. With other types of fried eggs, little extra care is needed since their yolk is unfinished.
How to make fried eggs?
The key to the perfect fried egg is to not rupture the egg yolk. But nothing is impossible with a little technique and practice of course. Follow the steps below to make the perfect over-hard fried eggs.
- Grab a non-stick frying pan, a non-stick spatula, eggs, and oil/butter.
- Heat oil in the pan over medium heat.
- Crack eggs in a separate bowl and transfer them onto the heated pan one by one. Do not crack the eggs directly onto the pan especially if you are a newbie.
Cracking the eggs individually in a bowl helps remove any stray eggshell pieces. Plus it saves you from mixing a bad egg into the rest of the eggs.
- Sprinkle some salt, pepper, or herbs over the eggs.
- After 3-4 minutes or when the eggs have been set with golden edges, flip the eggs carefully.
- Cook the other side of the eggs for another 3-4 minutes.
- Flip again and serve warm.
Note: Skip the flipping if you are making sunny side up, over-easy, or over-medium fried eggs.
How to safely store fried eggs?
Let the eggs cool before you pack them away. The steam should be allowed to escape or else it will accumulate inside the storage container and lead to spoilage. Do not keep the fried eggs on the counter for more than 2 hours( 1 hour if the temperature is above 90℉)
- Wrap each egg individually using paper towels or a plastic sheet.
- Transfer the wrapped eggs into an air-tight container or a good-quality freezer bag.
- Stick it in the fridge for up to 5 days or in the freezer for up to 4 months.
How to reheat fried eggs?
Cooked eggs and egg dishes should be reheated to a minimum internal safe temperature of 165℉. If you are making an egg sandwich, you can safely skip the reheating step. Eggs can be reheated in the microwave or in the skillet.
The thawing of frozen eggs is completely optional because eggs can be perfectly reheated straight out of the freezer or fridge.
In the microwave
- Wrap the eggs in a microwave-safe plastic sheet or paper towel and place them on a microwave-safe plate/dish.
- Microwave on full power for 30 seconds or until warmed thoroughly.
In the skillet
- Grease the non-stick pan with some oil or butter.
- Cook the egg on the heated pan on medium heat until thoroughly warm. You do not have to flip the egg. Covering with a lid is preferred.
- Refrain from overcooking as it can make the eggs rubbery.
All about Egg safety
Only buy the eggs from the refrigerated section. Confirm the integrity of the eggs by inspecting for any cracked or dirty eggs.
Buy the eggs at the end of your grocery shopping and store them immediately in the fridge when you get home.
Make sure the fridge is maintained at a steady temperature of 40℉ or below. For this, use a thermometer if the built-in thermometer is not present. Refrigerated eggs are best consumed within 3 weeks of storage.
Peeled or in-shell hard-cooked eggs are best consumed within 1 week of cooking. Frozen eggs last 1 year in the freezer.
Cooked egg dishes leftovers should be consumed within 3-4 days of refrigeration. Use shallow containers to store these leftovers.
Use hot soapy water to wash hands, equipment, and work surfaces that come in contact with raw eggs or raw egg-containing dishes.
Use a thermometer to make sure the eggs or egg-containing dishes are heated to an internal safe temperature of 160℉. Use pasteurized eggs or egg products to make Cesar salad dressing or homemade ice cream.
In this article, we answered the question “How long do fried eggs last?”, and how to store and reheat fried eggs?