This article will answer the question “How long do chickpeas last in the fridge?”, and how to store dried, roasted, and canned chickpeas?
How long do chickpeas last in the fridge?
If stored correctly, cooked chickpeas will last 2-3 days in the fridge. Make sure the chickpeas are completely cool before storing. The steam harbors microbes and leads to spoilage.
Pro tip: Do not completely cook the chickpeas If you wish to store them. Storing undercooked chickpeas will not become mushy once they after reheating.
How to Prep, Cook, and Freeze Dried Chickpeas?
- 2.2 pounds Dried chickpeas (or as much as you want)
Things you’ll need
- Reusable freezer-safe bags
To soak the chickpeas
- Wash chickpeas in a bowl thoroughly. Swirl around in the bowl and change the water when cloudy.
- Soak the chickpeas in fresh cold water for a minimum of 8 hours. Overnight soaking is preferred to allow the chickpeas to grow 2-3 times bigger.
- After 8 hours or overnight soaking, empty the bowl into a colander.
To cook the chickpeas
- In a saucepan, add chickpeas followed by water. The water should be enough to submerge the chickpeas with an extra 2-3 inches of water.
- Bring the water to a rolling boil. Reduce the heat to low and cook the chickpeas for 30-40 minutes with the lid on.
- The foam that accumulates on top can be skimmed off using a spoon. Alternatively, add oil to prevent foaming.
- Empty the saucepan into a colander to drain the water. Let the chickpeas cool completely before storing.
Other FAQs about Chickpeaks which you may be interested in.
To store them
- Transfer the chickpeas to an air-tight container when they reach room temperature. Keep in the fridge for 3-5 days.
- For freezing the chickpeas, use a heavy-duty freezer bag. Divide the chickpeas into portions and toss them into the freezer bags. Remove as much air as possible from the bag. Label the bag and chuck it into the freezer.
- 1 kg dried chickpeas are the equivalent of 12 cups of cooked chickpeas. You can use the portion size of 1.5 cups (250 g) for freezing chickpeas. 250g or 1.5 cups is also the drained weight of canned chickpeas. Chickpeas can be frozen for up to 3 months.
Using the frozen chickpeas
Let the chickpeas thaw in the fridge or use them as-is in a cooked dish. Frozen chickpeas can be reheated in a pot or microwave.
How to store canned chickpeas?
Unopened Can of chickpeas be stored as per the instructions given on the can. Generally, it can sit in a dark and cool place away from heat sources like direct sunlight and the stovetop. Inspect the can before using the chickpeas.
Discard the cans with a bulging top, dents, rust, or leaks. This damages the seal and presents a safety threat to the contents of the can. The shelf-life of an unopened can of chickpeas can be predicted by tracking the printed date on the label.
Once the can is opened, it is best to transfer the chickpeas to an air-tight container and store them in the fridge for 3-4 days. Alternatively, cover the can with a piece of aluminum foil and refrigerate the can for 3-4 days.
How to store Aquafaba?
Aquafaba is the leftover liquid of soaked and cooked chickpeas. Chickpeas are immersed in this liquid in the can.
This protein-rich liquid is a perfect vegan substitute for eggs. This liquid can be refrigerated for 2-3 days in an air-tight container.
Freezing will prolong its shelf-life to months. For freezing, pour the Aquafaba into the ice-cube tray. This portion-sizing makes the defrosting process easier.
One ice cube of Aquafaba contains 1 Tbsp of Aquabafa, which is the equivalent of ½ an egg white.
How to store dried chickpeas?
A cool, dry, and dark place, such as the pantry, is the perfect storage area for dried chickpeas. Dried chickpeas can be kept at ambient temperatures for up to a year. Refrigerating is a big no for dried chickpeas. Because the moisture leads to mold growth.
How to store roasted chickpeas?
Roasted chickpeas are all about their crunch. To preserve this crunchy quality, transfer the chickpeas to a container and leave them at room temperature with the lid slightly open.
This storage method will keep the crunchiness of the chickpeas intact for 3-4 days. If the long storage is your concern instead of the crunchiness, store the roasted chickpeas in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to 2 weeks and up to 2 months in the freezer.
This article answered the question “How long do chickpeas last in the fridge?”, and how to store dried, roasted, and canned chickpeas?