In this brief guide, we are going to answer the question “how long do carrots take to cook in soup?” with an in-depth analysis of the time it takes for the carrots to soften in soup. Moreover, we are going to discuss the easy ways to make carrot soup and carrot celery soup along with discussing some common soup-making mistakes and their fixes.
How long do carrots take to cook in soup?
Generally, carrots take about 10 minutes to cook in the soup but it is worth mentioning that the time it takes for carrots to cook in soup varies depending upon the size to which carrots are cut and the type of carrots.
If you want to soften the carrots that are cut into 1/4 inch slices, you should boil or steam them for 7 to 9 minutes but if you have very fine carrot strips, it takes about 4-6 minutes to cook them in soup.
Last but not least, it takes 8 to 10 minutes to cook baby carrots.
How to make carrot soup?
You can easily cook carrot soup by following the recipe given below.
- 1 tablespoon butter.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil.
- 1 medium onion, chopped.
- 1 stalk celery, chopped.
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped.
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme or parsley.
- 5 cups chopped carrots.
- 2 cups of water.
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth, “no-chicken” broth, or vegetable broth.
- ½ cup half-and-half (optional).
- ½ tablespoon salt.
- Freshly ground pepper to taste.
- To begin preparing the carrot soup, heat the butter and oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat until it begins to melt. Add onion and celery, stirring occasionally, until the onion and celery are tender, about 4 to 6 minutes.
- Then add the garlic and thyme (or parsley); let them simmer for about 10 seconds, stirring occasionally until the mixture becomes fragrant.
- Now, mix in the carrots. Bring the water and broth to a brisk simmer over high heat. Reduce the heat to keep a lively simmer, then cook until very tender. It will take about 25 minutes to make the carrots very very tender.
- In a blender, puree the soup in batches until smooth. When pureeing hot liquids, we must use extreme caution. If you’re using half-and-half, stir it in, then season with salt and pepper.
How long does carrot soup last in the fridge?
Carrot soup lasts for about 3-4 days when stored in an air-tight container in the fridge at or below 40 degrees Fahrenheit.
How to make celery and carrot soup?
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil.
- 1 small onion, minced.
- 1 small carrot, peeled and thinly sliced.
- 1 celery rib, thinly sliced.
- ½ teaspoon dried tarragon.
- 2 cups vegetable broth.
- ½ cup dry white wine.
- To begin, heat the oil in a medium saucepan over a medium-high flame. When the oil is hot, add the onions and cook for 5 minutes, or until they are soft. Slowly add carrots, celery, and tarragon, then cook for another 5 minutes, or until the carrots are soft.
- After the first step, stir in the broth or wine and bring to a boil. Reduce to low heat and continue to cook for 15 minutes or so. Then serve it.
You can read how to make bone broth here.
Common soup-making mistakes and their fixes
Boiling soup instead of simmering
Every few seconds, you want a little bubble or two to rise to the surface of the liquid. If you overcook the soup, the meat and vegetables will turn dry and overdone.
Not using enough salt
Nothing is more crucial than seasoning correction when making soup. Taste the soup as you go. Even if you’re following a recipe, it’s better to trust your own taste buds.
Adding tomatoes at the beginning
Tomato acid can keep beans and veggies crisp. Wait until the last 20 minutes of cooking time, when all of the other ingredients are almost tender, before adding the tomatoes.
The crispness of veggies will be lost if the vegetables are overdone. As a result, the veggies won’t taste wonderful when eaten, which is why we do not recommend overcooking the vegetables.
Neglecting the garnish
A handful of fresh herbs, freshly ground pepper, a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese, and crunchy croutons add finishing touches to the flavor and texture of the soup. Therefore you should not forget to garnish your soup with them.
Other FAQs about Carrots that you may be interested in.
In this brief guide, we answered the question “how long do carrots take to cook in soup?” with an in-depth analysis of the time it takes for the carrots to soften in soup. Moreover, we discussed the easy ways to make carrot soup and carrot celery soup along with discussing some common soup-making mistakes and their fixes.