In this article, we will answer the question “How long do brats last in the fridge?”, and how to safely store sausages in the fridge?
How long do brats last in the fridge?
Brats are uncooked sausages that last 14 days in the fridge if unopened. Once the package is opened, the brat sausages are best consumed within 2 days.
Can brats go bad in the fridge?
If properly stored, an unopened package of brat sausages will stay a good way past the printed date.
An unopened package can be stored indefinitely in the freezer. However, old brat sausages won’t have the same quality as the fresh ones.
Once opened, brat sausages should be used within 1-2 days. They will eventually go bad If kept for too long.
Can I freeze grilled brats?
Bratwurst, the popular German sausage, lasts 2-3 days If raw, and 5 days if cooked, in the fridge. But grilled or cooked Bratwurst sausages can be safely kept for 3 months in the freezer.
How long can you keep cooked sausages?
Cooked sausages can be kept for 4 days at a steady temperature of 39.2℉ in the fridge and 2 months in the freezer. To prolong the shelf-life of cooked sausages, wrap them in foil or food paper and put them in an air-tight container for storing.
How long does breakfast sausage last in the fridge?
An unopened package with sound packaging will last 4 days in the fridge. An opened package of breakfast sausages or leftovers will keep for only 2 days in the fridge.
How long does kielbasa last in the fridge?
Kieslsaba has quite a long shelf-life as compared to other sausages. When in its original vacuum-sealed packaging, kielbasa will last up to 4 weeks in the fridge. Once opened, kielbasa sausages are best consumed within 2 weeks of storage.
How long can leftover cooked sausage stay in the fridge?
Leftover cooked sausages, stored in an air-tight container wrapped in a paper towel, last only 1-2 days in the fridge at a steady temperature of 37.4℉. Storing the leftover cooked sausages without the fridge will decrease its shelf-life by 3 times.
How long is cooked sausage good for after the use-by date?
The printed date is an estimation of how long the product will keep in its peak quality if it remains unopened. An unopened package of pre-cooked sausages lasts about 2 weeks in the fridge. The shelf-life of an opened package is reduced to 1 week.
How long does cooked turkey sausage last in the fridge?
Irrespective of the meat type, cooked turkey sausage will keep for a week in the fridge at a steady temperature of 39.2℉. The shelf-life of unopened turkey sausage is 2 weeks in the fridge at 39.2℉ and 2 months in the freezer at a steady temperature of 17.6℉.
Tips for storing sausages in the fridge
- Use shallow air containers to keep your sausages. Such containers help minimize air contact. Alternatively, you can wrap the sausages in heavy-duty aluminum foil.
- Sausages should be kept in that section of the fridge where the temperature is steady at 40℉ or below. This ensures the quality and safety of the sausages.
- To get the maximum shelf-life of the cooked sausages, the cooking should be done properly. To do this, make sure the internal temperature of the sausages reaches 160℉.
- Make sure your hands and the handling utensils are clean before using them for sausages.
- To avoid cross-contamination, store your sausages separately from raw or uncooked food in your fridge.
- To prolong the shelf-life of cooked sausages, pop them in the freezer, where they can last for up to 3 months.
- The best way to thaw sausages is by placing them in the fridge a day before. Quick methods of thawing sausage include microwaving them or holding them under cold running water. Such methods are not recommended.
- Do not forget to put a clear label on the sausage storage container before freezing them. This will help keep track of how long the sausages have been frozen.
How to tell if the cooked sausage is spoiled?
If the sausages give off a rotten or funny smell, get rid of ‘em immediately. If the sausages develop grey or black patches, they are done for.
Slimy or discolored sausages are spoiled. Moldy sausages belong in the bin. Do not attempt to cut out the moldy parts to consume the rest of the sausages.
In this article, we answered the question “How long do brats last in the fridge?”, and how to safely store sausages in the fridge?