In this article, we will answer the question “How long can you store soft-boiled eggs?”, and how to make the perfect soft-boiled eggs?
How long can you store soft-boiled eggs?
Unpeeled, soft-boiled eggs will keep in the fridge for about 2 days. You can easily reheat the stored eggs by keeping them in simmering water for about 1 minute. Do not keep the boiled eggs at room temperature for more than 2 hours. If you are not going to consume it within 2 hours of boiling, refrigerating is a good option.
Freezing boiled eggs is not recommended as it degrades the quality to a large extent. The egg whites become rubbery and the egg yolks lose their moisture becoming crumbly. Moreover, the eggs might develop a foul smell and a watery texture.
How to make the perfect soft-boiled eggs?
When boiling eggs, temperature and holding time are the two important considerations. The following table is a complete guideline on how to boil eggs with a runny, fudgy, and hard yolk.
|Egg texture||Holding time|
|Soft white and a runny yolk||4-6 minutes|
|Soft yolk that stays in place||8 minutes|
|A firm yolk with a central soft spot||10 minutes|
|Hard-boiled egg with a light yolk||12 minutes|
|Hard-boiled egg with a firmer white and yolk but nor overcooked||14 minutes|
The shelf-life of different types of eggs
- Unpeeled, hard-boiled eggs will stay fresh for about 4 days in the fridge.
- Poached eggs, stored in ice water, will keep fresh for only 36 hours in the fridge.
- Hard-boiled egg whites wrapped in cellophane will keep in the fridge for about 2 ½ days.
- Hard-boiled yolks will be good for about 24-36 hours at steady refrigeration temperatures. These can be used in salad dressings, sauces, and as a filling to make deviled eggs.
The science behind boiling eggs?
An egg is a rich source of protein. A large egg has approximately 628g protein, 3.6g of which constitutes the egg white.
The building block of proteins is amino acids which are held together by weak bonds. These covalent bonds are weak enough to be broken by the heat that is provided during boiling.
The heat breaks these weak bonds and stimulates the amino acids to make stronger bonds simultaneously. During this process, water is expelled through the egg resulting in the solidification and denaturation of the protein.
Proteins in an egg pass through the following stages during boiling.
- At 130-140°F, egg proteins start to unfold.
- At 140°F, ovotransferrin turns the egg white into a gelatinous matrix as a result of bonding with itself.
- At 155°F, ovotransferrin is moist but solid.
- At 180°F, ovalbumin makes the egg white firm due to cross bonding.
- Above 180°F, proteins lose water slowly. As a result of dehydration, the egg white develops a dry a rubbery texture and starts to give off a foul Hydrogen sulfide smell.
What factors impact the cooking time of soft-boiled eggs?
The temperature of the water
The temperature of the water should reach as high as 190°F. Lower temperature water will take longer to boil the eggs. First, let the water come to a rolling boil. Then turn the flame low and bring the water to a constant simmer. Place the eggs in ice-cold water immediately after boiling to halt the cooking process.
Add only 4 eggs to the pot at a time. Try to avoid overcrowding the pot as it will increase the cooking time of the eggs considerably.
A larger egg will naturally take longer to cook to the desired consistency.
How to peel a soft-boiled egg?
- First, tap the egg against a flat and hard surface like a cutting board or the edge of a bowl.
- Tap the egg all over to create cracks or roll the egg after the first tap to create smaller cracks.
- Remove the loosened and cracked egg-shell pieces carefully without damaging the egg.
Soft-boiled eggs recipes
- Add the soft-boiled eggs to ramen noodles or add them to your salad bowls for a protein boost.
- Add it to your soup or chicken curry.
- Bake your favorite green leafy vegetables and break the color by adding an egg with a bright yellow runny yolk.
- Make porridge and to give it a spicy twist, top with kimchi and soft-boiled eggs.
- Turn your boring soft-boiled eggs into Brulee eggs and enjoy a delicious breakfast.
- Use it to finish off your fried rice along with vegetables and kimchi.
- Soft-boiled eggs perfectly complement a buttery and crunchy toast.
In this article, we answered the question “How long can you store soft-boiled eggs?”, and how to make the perfect soft-boiled eggs?