In this brief article, we will answer the question, “How long can you keep the cake in the fridge?” and tips to store cakes.
How long can you keep the cake in the fridge?
Cake can be kept in the fridge for approximately 3-4 days. This would also depend on the ingredients added to the cake. If the cake contains ganache or buttercream it would last for 3-4 days.
On the other hand, if the cake contains cream cheese, fruits, cream, or custard, you can keep them in the fridge for only 1-2 days.
How to store cakes?
You can store the cakes properly in the fridge, pantry, or freezer but there are few tips that you can follow to store cakes.
The following tips can be followed to store cakes:
- Consume the cakes as soon as possible after you have baked them. It is better to eat them within 24 hours. If the cakes contain ingredients like fruits, cream, cheese, cream cheese, or custard, it would be better to finish eating them quickly.
- It is better to use frosting on your cakes. This would help in preserving the moisture of the cakes. Even if you used frosting on your cakes, it is recommended to cover them to prevent them from losing out on moisture.
- Cake slices and whole cakes need to be wrapped in clingfilm to minimize the cake’s exposure to moisture. All the cut and sliced parts of the cake should be covered to prevent the cake from going dry.
- If you wish to place the cake at room temperature, line the inside of a cake tin with grease-proof paper. This would help in protecting the cake’s dryness. If the cake has cream cheese frosting, avoid keeping it at room temperature.
- You can also keep the cakes in the fridge in a cake maker or even in an upturned bowl to avoid the cake from absorbing odors from strongly odored foods.
- Avoid placing cakes in the fridge that have fondant, colorings, or food paste. Instead, consume them up immediately.
- If you add marzipan or icing to your cakes, it can last a bit more longer.
- Place the cakes away from light as exposure to light can spoil the icing and frosting.
- You can also increase the shelf-life of cakes by placing them in the freezer. If the cake does not have cream or frosting, wrap it first in plastic wrap and then place it in the airtight container.
- If the cake is frosted, wrap them in cling film. You can either wrap the entire cake in the cling film or wrap the cake slices in the cling film. A foil layer can also be used if you do not have cling film. Wrapping the cake in cling film will prevent it from absorbing odors.
- Do not overload your freezer with other food items as this would slow down the cooling process. The cake should would also not freeze well and might even get squished if there are too many items in the freezer.
- Avoid freezing cakes that are cream-based or contain meringue.
- After the cakes have been cooked, allow them to cool for a while before adding the frosting. Place the cakes on a wire cooling rack to help them cool faster.
At what temperature should the cakes be kept?
The cakes should be kept at a chilled temperature. Avoid placing the cakes at room temperature especially if the climate is warm as this can cause the frosting of the cakes to melt and the cakes can also turn dry if exposed to extreme heat.
A humid environment can also cause the cakes to become soggy. Refrigerate your cakes especially if you are planning to consume them later on.
How to defrost cakes?
You can add a little milk and whip the frosting up a little bit to defrost the frosting. This can help in making the frosting a little bit more fluffy.
You can level your cakes using a sharp knife. This should be done only after defrosting the cakes.
Do stale cakes need to be thrown away?
No, you need not throw stale cakes away. You can place the cake in a food processor and use the cake pieces to decorate a fresh new cake you prepare.
You can also mix the stale cake crumbs with frosting and prepare small balls, dip them in chocolate or sweet mixture and use it in ice cream.
Other FAQs about Cake that you may be interested in.
In this brief article, we have answered the question, “How long can you keep the cake in the fridge?” and tips to store cakes.