How long can you keep raw shrimp in the fridge? (3 Ways)
In this article, we will answer the question “How long can you keep raw shrimp in the fridge?”, and how to freeze shrimps?
How long can you keep raw shrimp in the fridge?
Unshelled or shelled raw shrimp will stay fresh for 2-3 days in the fridge If stored correctly. A consistent temperature of 40℉ or lower should be maintained in the fridge for safe storage of shrimps.
Temperature fluctuations will damage the quality. Keep the fridge in the lowest section of the refrigerator because It is the coldest. The shrimp should be wrapped in a plastic sheet or put in an air-tight container before refrigerating.
How long can fresh shrimp stay in the fridge?
Properly stored shrimps can last for 1 – 2 days in the refrigerator. If during this time, the expiry date passes, do not worry because your shrimps are properly and continually refrigerated so they will not go bad that quickly.
How to freeze shrimp?
Freezing cooked shrimp
- Cooked shrimp that has been shelled freezes quite well. Therefore, before freezing cooked shrimp, remove its tail, shells, and head. The large vein on the back of the shrimp may also be removed before freezing. However, this is optional. Do not keep the shrimp out on the counter for more than 2 hours.
- In a large pot, pour plenty of water and bring it to a rolling boil. Now add the cooked shrimp and simmer for 10 minutes. This is important to remove residual bacteria and stray shell pieces.
- Keep the boiled shrimp in air-tight containers. Alternatively, spread them evenly on a baking tray and flash-freeze until they are firm to touch so that they won’t stick together. Cooked shrimp should be frozen within 1-2 days of Boeing to avoid spoilage.
- Transfer the frozen shrimps from the baking tray to a freezer bag. Squeeze out the air from the bag and label before freezing.
Freezing raw shrimp
- Do not remove the shell and vein but snap-off the heads before freezing raw shrimps. This can be done by hand or a sharp knife. Raw shrimp should not be kept on the counter for more than 2 hours to prevent spoilage.
- Wash and rinse the raw shrimps thoroughly. The moisture that remains on the surface of shrimps after washing forms an ice glaze when frozen and serves to preserve the shrimps.
- Transfer the washed shrimps to a solid container like a Tupperware container or a yogurt box. Pack the shrimps tightly into it to limit the entry of air.
- Prepare brine solution by adding 2 tbsp of salt per 1 US qt of water. Brine can also be bought from the seafood specialty shops. Pour the brine into the container to submerge the shrimps. Leave 1-inch or a few centimeter headspace on top.
How to defrost frozen shrimp?
- Transfer the frozen shrimps from their container to a colander. Keep a plate beneath the colander to catch the water. Place the colonnade in the fridge or at room temperature to let it thaw. Do not place at room temperature for more than 2 hours.
- If you are in a hurry, place the frozen shrimp in a bowl and pour warm water into it for quick thawing.
After thawing, the shrimp can go back in the fridge If you do not have to use it all. Do not keep it for more than 2 days in the fridge. Refreezing the shrimp once it’s thawed is not recommended as it damages the texture and quality significantly.
Other FAQs about Shrimp which you may be interested in.
The shelf-life of shrimp
The following table shows an estimated shelf-life of shrimps under different storage conditions.
|In the pantry
|In the fridge
|In the freezer
|Past printed date
|Past printed date
|Past printed date
|Fresh shrimp (shelled)
|Fresh shrimp (shell on)
How to tell If the shrimp has gone bad?
- If the raw or cooked shrimp gives off an ammonia-like smell when you unwrap it, It has gone bad. Fresh shrimp should have a mild smell.
- The texture is important. The texture of the shrimps should be firm and crisp. If It is not, get rid of the shrimps.
- The presence of mold in the form of black spots on the cooked or raw shrimps is an obvious indication of spoilage.
How to cook with shrimps?
If you want a quick-fix, stir-fry broccoli with shrimp. This just takes about 20 minutes. Make Thai Shrimp Soup or Shrimp Alfredo for a hearty dinner. Garlic Butter shrimp combines the goodness of butter with a mild garlicky flavor. Similarly, Shrimp Fried Rice, Honey Walnut Shrimp, Coconut Shrimp, Shrimp Dumplings, Shrimp Kabobs, Roasted Shrimps, etc are all delicious ways to cook shrimp.
In this article, we answered the question “How long can you keep raw shrimp in the fridge?”, and how to freeze shrimps?