In this article, we will answer the question “How long can you keep a banana smoothie in the fridge?”, and how to make a banana smoothie?
How long can you keep a banana smoothie in the fridge?
A freshly prepared banana smoothie can be kept for up to 2 days in the fridge. For prolonged storage, consider refrigerating your banana smoothie in either blended or ready-to-blend-pack form.
The frozen banana smoothie will last 3 months in the freezer if stored correctly. Never refreeze a thawed banana smoothie.
Smoothies with frozen ingredients
Smoothies that contain frozen ingredients in their recipe will last a little bit longer than those with fresh fruits. This is because freezing is a preservation technique that prolongs the shelf life of the product.
Keeping such a smoothie in the fridge will also result in a change in consistency and flavor as the frozen ingredients melt. So if you don’t have a problem with that, you are free to store them in the refrigerator.
Smoothies with bananas and other fruits
Now, this is where it can get tricky. As for homemade smoothies, you already know which fruit you used and how old was that fruit. Unfortunately, you can not tell if the store-bought fresh fruit smoothies did actually contain “Fresh” fruits in them.
If you’re thinking about putting such a smoothie in the fridge, you can not be sure that it will last for 2 days. This is where you need to know the signs of spoilage so you do not fall victim to their cheap selling tactics.
Most fruit juices are prone to oxidation, so when you make them a part of your smoothie, you need to be cautious about the oxidation process. Storing these smoothies in an airtight container is the best practice to stop the oxidation process.
You might have seen bananas and apples going dark in color when exposed to environmental air. This is due to the oxidation process that you need to stop when you store your smoothie in the fridge.
How to make a banana smoothie?
- 2 cups frozen sliced bananas
- ½ cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- ½ tbsp ground flax seeds
- 1 cup unsweetened plain almond milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Put all the ingredients into the blender.
- Pulse on high speed till smooth. Add more almond milk if needed.
- Serve and enjoy!
The following nutrition facts apply to ½ cup of banana smoothie prepared by the above-mentioned recipe.
|Sugar||21 g||Fiber||4 g|
|Sodium||143 mg||Protein||11 g|
How to store smoothies?
- Select the right container for storing smoothies. Generally, a glass container with a tight seal is preferred because of its appealing look. But you could also use a high-quality BPA-free plastic jar.
- Fill the container with a smoothie up to the rim. This will ensure no oxygen gets into the container, thus, promising a prolonged shelf-life.
- Squeeze some lemon juice for a citrusy kick and improved preservation.
- Tightly close the lid of the container and stick it in the fridge. Place it at the back of the middle rack where the temperature is consistent.
How to make a peanut butter banana smoothie?
- 3/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 large banana cut into chunks and frozen
- 2 tbsp creamy peanut butter
- ½ cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- Ice optional
- Optional mix-ins: ½ scoop protein powder (vanilla or chocolate) 1 tbsp flaxseed meal, 1 tbsp chia seeds
- To make this recipe vegan, use plant-based milk and yogurt. If you want to skip the yogurt altogether, use ice cubes to get the thick consistency.
- Add 1 tsp of cocoa powder If you want to make this smoothie chocolate-y.
- Blend all the ingredients together until smooth. If working with a high-speed blender, add the bananas slowly for a smoother and uniform blend.
- For a thicker consistency, blend more ice cubes.
- Serve or refrigerate for 1-2 days in an air-tight container. Alternatively, freeze in freezer-safe jars or ice cube trays for about 3 months. Blend the frozen smoothie cubes when in the mood for the smoothie.
|Serving: 1 smoothie||Calories||380 kcal|
|Carbohydrates||38 g||Protein||20 g|
|Fats||19 g||Saturated fat||4 g|
|Cholesterol||5 g||Potassium||771 mg|
|Fiber||6 g||Sugar||21 g|
|Vitamin A||76 IU||Vitamin C||10 mg|
|Calcium||349 mg||Iron||1 mg|
In this article, we answered the question “How long can you keep a banana smoothie in the fridge?”, and how to make banana smoothie?