In this article, we will answer the question “How long can you freeze a spiral ham?”, and how to cook spiral ham?
How long can you freeze a spiral ham?
Spiral ham leftovers last at least 2 months in the freezer.
How to freeze spiral ham leftovers?
First, cut the spiral ham into slices or cubes. Then divide them into portions. Portion-sizing the spiral ham slices will help you thaw only as much ham you need at a time.
Lastly, transfer the ham into heavy-duty freezer bags or air-tight containers. Remove as much air from the bag as possible to minimize cold air exposure. Make sure the lid of the air-tight container is tight.
How to freeze a whole ham?
- It is best if the original packaging of the ham is intact. If you already tore apart the packaging, transfer the ham to an air-tight container.
- Alternatively, you can wrap the ham with a plastic sheet or put it directly into a freezer bag. All of these freezing mediums are fine.
- The original packaging won’t need a label. However, if the ham was transferred to new packaging, put a clear label on it.
- Freeze and use within 2 months.
How to thaw frozen spiral ham?
Slow thawing in the fridge is the key to safe and thawed spiral ham. Do not haste and plan so that you can transfer the frozen spiral ham to the fridge at least 3 days before use. This is how it should be done.
However, If you are in a hurry, you can let the spiral ham defrost on the counter or you can hold its container under cold running water.
However, these are not recommended methods as they do not guarantee safety. Spiral ham should be immediately refrigerated after complete thawing using such quick methods.
How to serve spiral ham?
Spiral ham is ideally served cool or at room temperature. If you like to serve it warm, follow the steps below to make sure the special glaze stays intact and ham stays moist and tender.
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Remove the original packaging.
- Cover the spiral ham with aluminum foil. It will seal the moisture inside and keep the maple glaze from coming off the ham.
- Now place the ham in the roasting pan. Slide the pan into the middle rack of the preheated oven.
- The cooking time depends upon the weight of the ham. A general rule is to heat the ham for 10 minutes per pound.
- Check in-between the process to prevent overcooking.
How to cut the spiral ham?
Making cuts, perpendicular to the bone, at each of the three seam lines of the ham is the easiest way to release it.
For the final cut, circle the knife around the bone so that all the slices come off easily. To serve boneless spiral ham, make a center cut to loosen the slices.
Refrigerating spiral ham
Refrigerate your spiral ham within 2 hours of the purchase. Properly refrigerated spiral ham kept at a steady temperature of 40℉ or below lasts about 5 days. The same is the case for spiral ham leftovers.
Discard the spiral ham or leftovers once they are past the 5 days refrigeration window even if the slices look fine.
Freezing should be done within these 5 days. So you must make your mind about whether you will need to freeze the ham or not.
How to cook a spiral-sliced ham without drying it out?
- 1 Spiral Sliced PreCooked Ham
- 1/2 cup Chicken Stock
- 1 Glaze Packet
- Remove the packaging. Be careful not to spill the juices.
- Do not throw away the packaging. The instructions and weight tag on the packaging plus the glaze packet will be useful.
- The cooking time varies with the weight of the ham. The following table shows an estimate.
|Ham weight||Cooking time||Ham weight||Cooking time|
|5 lb||50 mins||9 lb||1 hour 30 mins|
|6 lb||60 mins||10 lb||1 hour 40 mins|
|7 lb||1 hour 10 min||11 lb||1 hour 50 mins|
|8 lb||1 hour 20 mins||12 lb||2 hours|
- Preheat the oven. Place the ham, fat side up, on the baking tray with all the juices. Pour ½ cup of chicken stock if the juices are less than ½ cup.
- Place the aluminum foil-wrapped ham in the oven for the designated time.
- Follow the instructions for the application of glaze.
- When cooked, remove from the oven and let sit until cool enough to handle. Then use a spoon to pour the pan drippings over ham slices.
- Baste again before serving.
In this article, we answered the question “How long can you freeze a spiral ham?”, and how to cook spiral ham?