In this brief guide, we will answer the question, how long can Trulicity stay out of the refrigerator? We will elaborate on how long you can leave Trulicity out of the refrigerator and how to handle it correctly.
How long can Trulicity stay out of the refrigerator?
Trulicity can stay out of the refrigerator for about 14 hours. After 14 hours Trulicity has significantly deteriorated in quality and will no longer be an efficient medicine, if safe.
If the Trulicity has been left out for 14 hours, you must throw it away as the medicine is now useless.
The 14-hour period can be broken into several 14-hour exposures or can be left out of the fridge for a consecutive 14-hour period.
When you expose Trulicity to room temperature, it must not be used after the 14-hour or 336-hour mark has lapsed.
What is Trulicity?
Trulicity is a single-use disposable, prefilled injection.
Trulicity comes in 0.75 mg, 1.5 mg, 3.0 mg and 4.5 mg. Trulicity provides 1.5 mg/0.5 ml which is injected weekly. The pen is inserted into the skin, releasing the medicine, and then retracts back.
Trulicity is also known as dulaglutide. Dulaglutide is an active ingredient and is made from a live organism.
Trulicity is prescribed to people who are 18 years and older and have type 2 diabetes. Trulicity helps to manage blood sugar in such people alongside diet and exercise.
Trulicity also helps to reduce the risk of cardiovascular, heart attack, and strokes.
The injection is administered in the thigh, upper arms, or stomach. Trulicity is supposed to be taken every week; on the same day and the time of the week.
How to care for Trulicity?
Trulicity can be put in the fridge or stored at room temperature for up to 14 days. Room temperature implies that the temperature must stay under 86 Fahrenheit or 30 degrees Celsius. Keep Trulicity in its original packaging and away from direct sunlight.
After you take Trulicity out of the fridge, let it sit at room temperature for 30 minutes before injecting. Do not use the stove, microwave, or boiling water to warm up the injection.
Trulicity should be kept away from children and pets and must be disposed of properly. Use a sharps container or a puncture-resistant container to store the Trulicity pen before disposal.
The container should have a tight lid and must be large enough to hold the pen. A good example is a laundry detergent bottle or a coffee can.
How to inject Trulicity?
To inject trulicity, follow the steps mentioned below:
- Take the injection out of the fridge and let it come to room temperature. The injection is safe to be injected when it is cold but the experience can be painful.
- Wash your hands with soap and water. Inspect that the medicine looks normal and is within the expiration time.
- Select your injection site and sterilize it using rubbing alcohol. The injection site must be free of discoloration, bruises, psoriatic lesions, and rashes. Also, the injection site must be rotated every week.
- Check whether the indicator suggests that the pen is locked and then take the base cap off.
- The clear, base side of the pen must be firm and flat against your skin and at a 90 degrees angle. The injection should go straight up and down. Turn the lock ring to unlock the injection.
- Once you have correctly positioned the injection, push down on the green button. The loud click means that the needle is inserted and the injection has started. Keep the injection in place until you hear the second click in 5-10 seconds.
You will see a gray plunger when the injection has been administered.
- Remove the pen and dispose of it accordingly.
Who must not use Trulicity injections?
Trulicity injections might not be suited to everyone. People who should avoid using them are those who are allergic to dulaglutide or any other ingredient present in the medicine.
People who are experiencing low blood sugar levels, also known as hypoglycemia must also delay injecting the medicine.
When a doctor prescribes you, Trulirity talks to them about any allergic reaction you have had in the past, or if you have type 1 diabetes.
Also talk to your doctor if you have a condition that affects your digestive system or kidneys or if you have pancreatitis, a condition in which the pancreas becomes inflamed and causes pain to the back or the stomach.
In this brief guide, we answered the question, how long can Trulicity stay out of the refrigerator? We elaborated on how long you can leave Trulicity out of the refrigerator and how to handle it correctly.