In this brief guide, we are going to answer the question “how long can smoked salmon stay in the fridge” with an in-depth analysis of the shelf life of smoked salmon. Moreover, we are going to discuss tips to properly store smoked salmon.
So without much ado, let’s dive in and figure out more about it.
How long can smoked salmon stay in the fridge?
Unopened smoked salmon can last for about 2 weeks when stored properly in the fridge at or below 40 degrees Fahrenheit.
On the other hand, opened smoked salmon lasts for about 1 week when stored properly in the fridge at or below 40 degrees Fahrenheit in an air-tight container or plastic zipper bag.
Thus, the cold temperature of the fridge will decrease the rate of bacterial growth and will subsequently prolong the shelf life of your smoked salmon.
What is the optimum temperature to store a smoked salmon?
You should always store your smoked salmon at 40 degrees Fahrenheit or below in the fridge. Bacterial growth takes place at a faster pace between the temperature of 40 and 140 degrees Fahrenheit, therefore it is always advised to store smoked salmon at a lower temperature to preserve its freshness and quality for a long time.
How long does smoked salmon last in the freezer?
Smoked salmon if kept in a heavy-duty freezer container or wrapped in aluminum foil in a plastic freezer bag in the freezer can last for about 2-3 months provided that it was stored properly.
Thus keeping the smoked salmon in the freezer will increase its shelf life considerably owing to the cool temperature of the freezer that halts the bacterial growth on smoked salmon.
It is worth mentioning that the figures mentioned above are the estimated shelf life of the smoked salmon.
How to thaw frozen smoked salmon properly?
You can thaw frozen smoked salmon by leaving them in the fridge overnight. The smoked salmon that you thaw in the fridge can stay there for 3-4 days before you decide to reheat and eat it.
But if you thaw your smoked salmon in a bowl of cold water or the microwave, it is advised to consume it immediately after heating it till its internal temperature rises to 165 °F.
Can I refrigerate the reheated smoked salmon?
So once you have reheated the smoked salmon, you should never refrigerate it. As when you reheat the smoked salmon, its temperature rises more than 40 degrees Fahrenheit and we know that bacteria grows at a faster rate between 40 and 140 degrees Fahrenheit. So the bacteria will find their way to your smoked salmon and you should never refrigerate the reheated smoked salmon.
You can read how to make smoked salmon here.
Tips to properly store smoked salmon
- You should always store your smoked salmon at 40°F or below. Bacterial growth takes place at a faster pace between the temperature of 40°F and 140°F, therefore it is always advised to store your smoked salmon at a lower temperature.
- It is a good practice to store smoked salmon on one of the shelves of the refrigerator rather than the door as there is a lot of temperature fluctuation at the door of the fridge that can mess up the quality of smoked salmon.
- You can further prolong the shelf life of the smoked salmon by wrapping it in the heavy-duty aluminum foil or plastic freezer bag and storing it in the freezer.
- You can also opt for vacuum sealing at home that can prolong the shelf life of a smoked salmon. It involves the process of putting the smoked salmon in a plastic zipper bag, removing air from it, and almost sealing the bag with a little space left while lowering it into water. Afterward, press out the bubbles from the bag starting from the bottom of the bag and once you reach the sealed end, you should press the seal closed. A vacuum sealer pump can also be used for this purpose.
- Thaw the smoked salmon properly before reheating it. If you are thawing your smoked salmon by keeping it in the refrigerator then you can reheat and utilize it within 3-4 days but if you are directly thawing and reheating it in the microwave it is recommended to consume it immediately.
In this brief guide, we answered the question “how long can smoked salmon stay in the fridge” with an in-depth analysis of the shelf life of smoked salmon. Moreover, we discussed tips to properly store smoked salmon.