In this brief guide, we are going to answer the question “How long can potato salad stay in the fridge” with an in-depth analysis of the shelf life of potato salad in the fridge. Moreover, we are going to discuss the ways to spot bad potato salad and the tips to store the potato salad properly.
So without much ado, let’s dive in and figure out more about it.
How long can potato salad stay in the fridge?
The potato salad lasts for about 3-5 days in the fridge if stored properly at or below 40°F in an air-tight container or plastic zipper bag.
You should always store your potato salad at 40°F or below in the fridge. Bacterial growth takes place at a faster pace between the temperature of 40°F and 140°F, therefore it is always advised to store potato salad at a lower temperature to preserve its freshness and quality for a long time.
How long does potato salad last at room temperature?
Potato salad lasts for about 2 hours when left at room temperature. The bacterial growth takes place at a faster pace between 40°F and 140°F so if a potato salad is kept out for more than 2 hours, there is a great chance that bacteria and other microbes will find their way to it and will spoil it.
Moreover, if the temperature of the surroundings is about 90 degrees Fahrenheit, then the process of spoilage takes place at a faster pace and it is recommended to discard potato salad that is left out in the open for more than an hour at 90 degrees Fahrenheit.
How long is potato salad good for in the freezer?
It is not recommended to store potato salad in the freezer as the mayonnaise that is used in potato salad can separate when frozen potato salad is thawed. Thus, your thawed potato salad won’t be creamy. Therefore it is recommended not to freeze your potato salad with mayo dressing.
How to make potato salad with mayo dressing?
- So to make 4 servings of potato salad what you gotta do is to take 1 kg of potatoes and wash them thoroughly.
- Take a saucepan and add water and some salt to it and let it boil. Once the water gets boiled, add the washed unpeeled potatoes to it.
- Let them simmer for about 25 minutes or until the potatoes are softened.
- Now drain the excess water and place the boiled potatoes on the counter for a couple of minutes.
- Afterward, peel the potatoes while they are still a bit hot and cut them into thin fine slices. You can use an egg cutter to cut fine slices of potatoes.
- Afterward, hard boil two eggs.
- Once the eggs have boiled, peel them and let them cool for some time.
- Afterward, take a bunch of parsley leaves and chop them finely.
- Now take the eggs and chop them in the form of small cubes. Take 4 pickles (cucumber) and do the same with them.
- Now in a bowl, take 200 grams of mayonnaise and add 100 grams of yogurt in it along with 5 tbsp of cucumber water. Mix it until you get a smooth and silky consistency.
- Now add salt and pepper to it according to your taste preference.
- Add the cut potato slices, parsley, chopped eggs, and pickles in this mixture and let it cool in the refrigerator for about an hour.
How to tell if the potato salad has gone bad?
There are a couple of indicators that point out bad potato salad. You should consider the appearance, texture, and smell of potato salad to reach a final verdict on whether or not it has gone bad.
If you sport a mold or any other organic growth on your potato salad then the best thing to do in this scenario is to discard such potato salad.
If you feel something slimy or gooey while touching the cooked potato salad, it means that your potato salad has gone bad and it is better to discard it.
If you smell something sour or something that does not smell like potato salad itself while taking a sniff test of your potato salad then it means that your potato salad has gone bad.
If microbes somehow found their way to your potato salad and have spoiled it then the best thing you should do is to discard it.
Tips to properly store potato salad
- The potato salad should be stored in an air-tight container or plastic zipper bag in the refrigerator.
- Always opt for shallow air-tight containers for storing potato salad.
- Always be sure to refrigerate potato salad at or below 40 degrees Fahrenheit.
- It is recommended to mix the mayonnaise or any other dressing of your choice in the potato salad when you are ready to serve it. If you want to store the potato salad then you should store potato salad and vinaigrette separately.
- It is better to store potato salad on one of the shelves of the refrigerator rather than the door as there is a lot of temperature fluctuation at the door of the fridge.
- You should not leave your potato salad for more than 2 hours at room temperature as there are great chances of bacterial contamination in it if it is kept out for longer than 2 hours at room temperature.
You can read how to make pasta salad here.
In this brief guide, we answered the question “How long can potato salad stay in the fridge” with an in-depth analysis of the shelf life of potato salad in the fridge. Moreover, we discussed the ways to spot bad potato salad and the tips to store the potato salad properly.