In this brief guide, we are going to answer the question “how long can grilled chicken last in the fridge” with an in-depth analysis of the shelf life of a grilled chicken. Moreover, we are going to discuss whether or not you can refrigerate the reheated grilled chicken and tips to properly store grilled chicken.
So without much ado, let’s dive in and figure out more about it.
How long can grilled chicken last in the fridge?
Grilled chicken lasts for about 3-4 days when stored properly in the fridge at or below 40 degrees Fahrenheit in an air-tight container or plastic zipper bag.
Thus, the cold temperature of the fridge will decrease the rate of bacterial growth and will subsequently prolong the shelf life of your grilled chicken.
The proper way to store your grilled chicken in the fridge is to put it in the air-tight container or zip lock bag once you have cooled it thoroughly at room temperature. It is best practice to refrigerate the leftovers of your grilled chicken within 2 hours after the chicken is being cooked.
How long does grilled chicken last at room temperature?
Grilled chicken lasts for about 2 hours when kept out at room temperature.
You should discard the grilled chicken that has been left in open for more than 2 hours as bacterial growth takes place at a faster pace between the temperature of 40 and 140 degrees Fahrenheit, therefore there are greater chances of the grilled chicken being already contaminated with bacteria when left out for more than 2 hours.
Moreover, if the temperature of the surroundings is about 90 degrees Fahrenheit, then the process of spoilage takes place at a faster pace and it is recommended to discard grilled chicken that is left out in the open for more than an hour at 90 degrees Fahrenheit.
How long does grilled chicken last in the freezer?
Grilled chicken if kept in an air-tight container or air-tight bag in the freezer can last for about 4 months provided that it was stored properly.
Thus keeping the grilled chicken in the freezer will increase its shelf life considerably owing to the cool temperature of the freezer that halts the bacterial growth on grilled chicken.
It is worth mentioning that the figures mentioned above are the estimated shelf life of the grilled chicken.
You can read how to make grilled chicken here.
Other FAQs about Chicken which you may be interested in.
How to thaw frozen grilled chicken properly?
You can thaw frozen grilled chicken by leaving them in the fridge overnight. The grilled chicken that you thaw in the fridge can last there for 3-4 days before you decide to reheat and eat it.
But if you thaw your grilled chicken in a bowl of cold water or the microwave, it is advised to consume it immediately after heating it till its internal temperature rises to 165 °F.
Can I refrigerate the reheated grilled chicken?
So once you have reheated the grilled chicken, you should never refrigerate it. As when you reheat the grilled chicken, its temperature rises more than 40 degrees Fahrenheit and we know that bacteria grows at a faster rate between 40 and 140 degrees Fahrenheit. So the bacteria will find their way to your grilled chicken and you should never refrigerate the reheated grilled chicken.
Tips to properly store grilled chicken
- You should always store your grilled chicken at 40°F or below. Bacterial growth takes place at a faster pace between the temperature of 40°F and 140°F, therefore it is always advised to store your grilled chicken at a lower temperature.
- It is a good practice to store grilled chicken on one of the shelves of the refrigerator rather than the door as there is a lot of temperature fluctuation at the door of the fridge that can mess up the quality of grilled chicken.
- One thing to keep in mind is to let your grilled chicken cool thoroughly before putting it in the container or the zip-lock bag. If you put steaming hot grilled chicken in these airtight bags or containers, the moisture will build up inside them which can provide suitable conditions for the bacteria to grow.
- You can further prolong the shelf life of the grilled chicken by wrapping it in the heavy-duty aluminum foil or plastic freezer bag and storing it in the freezer.
- Thaw the grilled chicken properly before reheating it. If you are thawing your grilled chicken by keeping it in the refrigerator then you can reheat and utilize it within 3-4 days but if you are directly thawing and reheating it in the microwave it is recommended to consume it immediately.
In this brief guide, we answered the question “how long can grilled chicken last in the fridge” with an in-depth analysis of the shelf life of a grilled chicken. Moreover, we discussed whether or not you can refrigerate the reheated grilled chicken and tips to properly store grilled chicken.