In this article, we will answer how long can ginger stay fresh in the refrigerator and what practices should be followed for the safe storage of ginger and ginger root.
How long can ginger last in the fridge?
If properly stored, ginger can stay fresh for up to 4-6 weeks at the refrigeration temperature.
However, this shelf-life differs with respect to the ginger type or form. Ginger is a staple ingredient of most dishes, whether it is a herbal tea, curry, or a ginger cookie, it is needed as the base ingredient to add spice and a pungent flavor. So in order for you to never run out of ginger from your kitchen due to spoilage, follow the below listed safe storage methods.
How to buy the best ginger?
To keep the ginger fresh for longer, make sure you buy it in its freshest form from the grocery store. When buying ginger, look for the following things:
- Ginger should smell good and fresh. By this, we mean a sharp pleasant smell with a spark of peppery or lemon note.
- It should not feel soft/moist upon touching.
- Avoid buying ginger with any green moldy patches or spots.
- Ginger should have a firm texture.
The shelf life of a ginger
Un-peeled ginger will stay fresh only for a week in the pantry. If you want to keep it longer than that, toss it in the refrigerator to keep it fresh for 1 month. Put in the freezer for 3 months. Peeled and crushed/minced ginger will spoil within a few hours when kept in the pantry due to moisture and flavor loss. However, ginger paste submerged in sunflower oil will stay fresh for a month in the refrigerator and about 3 months in the freezer.
Ginger powder has the longest shelf life of all types and stays fresh and aromatic in the pantry for 2-3 years and indefinitely in the fridge and freezer if correctly stored.
Unopened ginger jars will last 2-3 months in the pantry or fridge.
How to store ginger for longer shelf life?
- Keep the ginger intact and store it in large chunks in the refrigerator or freezer
- Keep the ginger inside heavy-duty resealable plastic bags for freezing and refrigeration. Paper bags can be used for the fridge. Squeeze out all the air from the bag to avoid air.
- Do not keep sliced/cut ginger in the pantry. Keep in the refrigerator or freezer to preserve freshness.
- The container used to store pickled ginger or ginger paste should be sterilized and air-tight.
- Ginger kept in the pantry should be stored away from heat.
Defrosting frozen ginger is not needed since frozen ginger becomes hardens and is comparatively easier to peel. You can grate it easily or cut it to add to your soups without thawing.
How to tell If ginger has spoiled?
Spoiled ginger appears crinkled. It loses its firmness and feels mushy or soft upon a slight press. The pleasant pungent smell is gone. Color becomes pale and greyish. Mold may or may not be present at this time but the quality has clearly degraded.
If you frequently make and store ginger paste, you will notice green mold over the surface when it goes bad.
How to pickle ginger?
Pickling ginger is the simplest method to preserve ginger. Pickling adds a lot of savory flavor to your ginger. Just cut/slice or mince your ginger into the desired size and submerge it in white vinegar or lemon juice in a sterilized jar.
Health benefits of eating ginger
- Ginger is known for its great medicinal properties. Ginger is used for promoting digestion and fight the flu. It has remarkable anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidant properties. Due to its aroma and flavor, it is added herbal teas. The magic compound, gingerol, present in ginger, is responsible for much of its medicinal properties.
- Ginger has been found to relieve menstrual pain, prevent cardiovascular diseases, and contain anti-cancerous compounds.
- In addition to these, ginger fights bad cholestrol knows as LDL, supports brain health, and protects against infections.
How to add ginger in your diet?
- Make ginger tea. Add your favorite herbs and whole spices like cardamom, cloves, cinnamon, fennel and mint in water. Last but not the least add ginger and bring the water to a boil. Strain all ingredietns and drink to help indigestion or treat flu.
- Skip the herbs and spices. Boil ginger in water. Strain water and add honey to balance pungent flavour of ginger.
- Add ginger paste or ginger poweder in you marinades or sauces.
- Use ginger cubes in soups or stokes.
In this article, we answered how long can ginger stay fresh in the refrigerator and what practices should be followed for the safe storage of ginger and ginger root.