In this brief guide, we are going to answer the question “how long can dumplings stay in the fridge” with an in-depth analysis of the shelf life of dumplings. Moreover, we are going to discuss tips to properly store dumplings.
So without much ado, let’s dive in and figure out more about it.
How long can dumplings stay in the fridge?
Cooked dumplings can last for about 3-5 days when stored properly in the fridge at or below 40 degrees Fahrenheit in an air-tight container or plastic zipper bag. On the other hand, when it comes to uncooked dumplings, they last for about 1-3 days when stored properly in an air-tight container or plastic zipper bag in the fridge.
It is worth mentioning that refrigerating the uncooked dumplings is not recommended as the moisture can seep into the dumpling’s skin from the filling and make it soggy.
Thus, the cold temperature of the fridge will decrease the rate of bacterial growth and will subsequently prolong the shelf life of your dumplings.
The proper way to store your cooked dumplings in the fridge is to put them in the air-tight container or zip lock bag once you have cooled it thoroughly at room temperature. It is best practice to refrigerate the leftovers of your dumplings within 2 hours after dumplings are being cooked.
How long do dumplings stay at room temperature?
Dumplings last for about 2 hours when kept out at room temperature.
You should discard the dumplings that have been left in the open for more than 2 hours as bacterial growth takes place at a faster pace between the temperature of 40 and 140 degrees Fahrenheit, therefore there are greater chances of the dumplings being already contaminated with bacteria when left out for more than 2 hours.
Moreover, if the temperature of the surroundings is about 90 degrees Fahrenheit, then the process of spoilage takes place at a faster pace and it is recommended to discard dumplings that are left out in the open for more than an hour at 90 degrees Fahrenheit.
How long do dumplings last in the freezer?
Uncooked dumplings if kept in an air-tight container or air-tight bag in the freezer can last for about 2-3 months provided that they were stored properly while cooked dumplings last for about 3-4 months.
Thus keeping the dumplings in the freezer will increase their shelf life considerably owing to the cool temperature of the freezer that halts the bacterial growth on dumplings.
It is worth mentioning that the figures mentioned above are the estimated shelf life of the dumplings.
You can read how to make dumplings here.
How to thaw and reheat dumplings properly?
When it comes to defrosting and reheating the frozen dumplings, you do not need to thaw the dumplings separately as dumplings can become soggy this way. You can directly cook/heat your frozen dumplings. There are a couple of ways that you can choose from.
- The recommended way to thaw the frozen dumplings (baked or steamed) is to heat them in the steamer for about 5 minutes and afterward eat it.
- You can directly thaw and reheat your dumplings in a pan, steamer, or oven.
- You can even thaw your precooked dumplings in the microwave. If you are thawing and reheating the dumplings in the oven or microwave it is recommended to eat them as soon as possible.
- Last but not least in the case of the bread dumplings, you can directly add your dumplings (frozen uncooked dumplings) in boiling water and once the dumplings come to the surface, you should cook them for 15 to 20 minutes. Meanwhile, fry the breadcrumbs in oil and roll the boiled dumplings in it.
Can I refrigerate the reheated dumplings?
So once you have reheated the pre-cooked dumplings, you should never refrigerate them. As when you reheat the dumplings, their temperature rises more than 40 degrees Fahrenheit and we know that bacteria grows at a faster rate between 40 and 140 degrees Fahrenheit. So the bacteria will find their way to your dumplings and you should never refrigerate the reheated dumplings.
Tips to properly store dumplings
- You should always store your dumplings at 40°F or below. Bacterial growth takes place at a faster pace between the temperature of 40°F and 140°F, therefore it is always advised to store your dumplings at a lower temperature.
- It is a good practice to store dumplings on one of the shelves of the refrigerator rather than the door as there is a lot of temperature fluctuation at the door of the fridge that can mess up the quality of dumplings.
- One thing to keep in mind is to let your dumplings cool thoroughly before putting them in the container or the zip-lock bag. If you put steaming hot dumplings in these airtight bags or containers, the moisture will build up inside them which can provide suitable conditions for the bacteria to grow.
- Thaw the dumplings properly before reheating them. If you are thawing your dumplings by keeping them in the refrigerator then you can reheat and utilize them within 3-4 days but if you are directly thawing and reheating them in the microwave it is recommended to consume them immediately.
In this brief guide, we answered the question “how long can dumplings stay in the fridge” with an in-depth analysis of the shelf life of dumplings. Moreover, we discussed tips to properly store dumplings.