In this article, we will answer the question “How long can corn stay in the fridge?”, and how to store corn?
How long can corn stay in the fridge?
Unwashed and unpeeled corn kept in an air-tight container will stay fresh for 5-7 days in the crisper drawer of the fridge. It is best to store corn if you bought it in bulk to prevent it from going starchy. Because refrigeration temperature will slow down the breakdown of sugar into starch. Read on if you want to know how to store corn for later use.
How to buy corn?
Checking the corn kernels by pulling the husk from the top might seem tempting and quite assuring that the corn is fresh or not but it degrades the quality of the kernels over time. Because the husk is there to protect the kernels from drying out.
The best way to tell if the corn is fresh or not without plucking the layers off is by looking at the color of the husk. If the husk is bright green and the corn kernels yield a little when gentle pressure is applied from the inside, it means the corn is fresh and plump.
If the husk has brown spots all over it or the fibers at the top look dried up or black, do not buy.
How to store corn?
Refrigerating corn on the corb
In order to keep corn on the cob fresh in the storage, keep the following things in mind.
- Always refrigerate your corn if you are not going to consume it immediately. The low temperature of the fridge will keep the content of the simple sugars high whilst slowing down their breakdown into bland tasting starch.
- Do not remove the husk. You can remove the outermost dirty leaves but keeping at least a few leaves intact will lock the moisture inside the corn kernels.
- Wrap a plastic sheet around the corn on the cob. Wrapping too tight will result in collecting water inside that will lead to fungal growth, so, keep it a little loose.
Freezing corn on the cob
There are two ways to freeze store corn on the cob.
- Simply place the corn on the cob with the husk intact inside the freezer bags. Label and store for about 8 months.
- The second method is to blanch before freeze storing. For this, blanch the corn on the cob in boiling hot water for 4 minutes. Remove from the water and let it sit in ice-cold water for 4 minutes to stop the cooking process. Now remove the corn kernels off the cob and store them in a freezer bag. Store in small portion sizes and label the bags.
Refrigerating cooked corn
To store cooked corn or corn leftovers, wrap the corn in a thick aluminum foil. Place it in a clean and dry air-tight container and store in the fridge for 3-5 days.
How to reheat corn on the cob?
For reheating frozen corn, let it thaw in the fridge. After that cover the corn with a damp paper towel. Keep the corn in a microwave-safe dish or plate and heat in 10-20 second bursts of time.
How to tell if the corn is bad?
Corn, cooked or uncooked, will eventually go bad if kept for too long or stored incorrectly. There are a number of ways you can tell if the corn is ready to be tossed in the bin.
- If the corn kernels start giving off a rancid or moldy smell, it is time to throw it in the bin.
- If the corn kernels feel sticky upon touching, it is a clear indication of mold growth. Discard it immediately.
Some corn recipes
- Corn in the salad sounds too boring. Experiment with roasted corn tossed with lime and chiles and finished off with cheese.
- Grill some corn on the cob and coat it with some lime butter and queso fresco. Last but not the least, sprinkle with homemade Ancho Chile Rub to level up the spice game. If you do not like the coating to be too spicy, rub it with some mayonnaise, chili powder, and garlic salt.
- Alternatively, serve grilled corn as an alternative rubbed with spicy jalapeno, lime, garlic, and paprika butter.
- Cook some pappardelle in a sauce based on corn on the cob and tomatoes. For a healthier option, incorporate corn in Panzanella along with other vegetables and bread.
In this article, we answered the question “How long can corn stay in the fridge?”, and how to store corn?