In this brief guide, we are going to answer the question “how long can cooked sausage stay in the fridge” with an in-depth analysis of the shelf life of cooked sausage. Moreover, we are going to discuss tips to properly store cooked sausage.
So without much ado, let’s dive in and figure out more about it.
How long can cooked sausage stay in the fridge?
Cooked sausage can last for about 3-4 days when stored properly in the fridge at or below 40 degrees Fahrenheit in an air-tight container or plastic zipper bag.
Thus, the cold temperature of the fridge will decrease the rate of bacterial growth and will subsequently prolong the shelf life of your cooked sausage.
The proper way to store your cooked sausage in the fridge is to put it in the air-tight container or zip lock bag once you have cooled it thoroughly at room temperature. It is best practice to refrigerate the leftovers of your cooked sausage within 2 hours after the sausage is being cooked.
How long does cooked sausage stay at room temperature?
Cooked sausage lasts for about 2 hours when kept out at room temperature.
You should discard the cooked sausage that has been left in open for more than 2 hours as bacterial growth takes place at a faster pace between the temperature of 40 and 140 degrees Fahrenheit, therefore there are greater chances of the cooked sausage being already contaminated with bacteria when left out for more than 2 hours.
Moreover, if the temperature of the surroundings is about 90 degrees Fahrenheit, then the process of spoilage takes place at a faster pace and it is recommended to discard cooked sausage that is left out in the open for more than an hour at 90 degrees Fahrenheit.
How long does cooked sausage last in the freezer?
Cooked sausage if kept in an air-tight container or air-tight bag in the freezer can last for about 1-2 months provided that it was stored properly.
Thus keeping the cooked sausage in the freezer will increase its shelf life considerably owing to the cool temperature of the freezer that halts the bacterial growth on cooked sausage.
It is worth mentioning that the figures mentioned above are the estimated shelf life of the cooked sausage.
How to thaw frozen cooked sausage properly?
You can thaw frozen cooked sausage by leaving them in the fridge overnight. The cooked sausage that you thaw in the fridge can stay there for 3 days before you decide to reheat and eat it.
But if you thaw your cooked sausage in a bowl of cold water or the microwave, it is advised to consume it immediately after heating it till its internal temperature rises to 165 °F.
Can I refrigerate the reheated cooked sausage?
So once you have reheated the frozen cooked sausage, you should never refrigerate it. As when you reheat the cooked sausage, its temperature rises more than 40 degrees Fahrenheit and we know that bacteria grows at a faster rate between 40 and 140 degrees Fahrenheit. So the bacteria will find their way to your cooked sausage and you should never refrigerate the reheated cooked sausage.
You can read how to make spicy sausage pizza here.
Other FAQs about Sausages which you may be interested in.
Tips to properly store cooked sausage
- You should always store your cooked sausage at 40°F or below. Bacterial growth takes place at a faster pace between the temperature of 40°F and 140°F, therefore it is always advised to store your cooked sausage at a lower temperature.
- It is a good practice to store cooked sausage on one of the shelves of the refrigerator rather than the door as there is a lot of temperature fluctuation at the door of the fridge that can mess up the quality of the cooked sausage.
- One thing to keep in mind is to let your cooked sausage cool thoroughly before putting it in the container or the zip-lock bag. If you put steaming hot cooked sausage in these airtight bags or containers, the moisture will build up inside them which can provide suitable conditions for the bacteria to grow.
- You can further prolong the shelf life of the cooked sausage by wrapping it in the heavy-duty aluminum foil or plastic freezer bag and storing it in the freezer.
- Thaw the frozen sausage properly before reheating it. If you are thawing your cooked sausage by keeping it in the refrigerator then you can reheat and utilize it within 3 days but if you are directly thawing and reheating it in the microwave it is recommended to consume it immediately.
In this brief guide, we answered the question “how long can cooked sausage stay in the fridge” with an in-depth analysis of the shelf life of cooked sausage. Moreover, we discussed tips to properly store cooked sausage.