How long are pancakes good for in the fridge?
In this brief guide, we are going to answer the question “how long are pancakes good for in the fridge” with an in-depth analysis of the shelf life of pancakes. Moreover, we are going to discuss the proper way to freeze, thaw, and reheat pancakes.
So without much ado, let’s dive in and figure out more about it.
How long are pancakes good for in the fridge?
Pancakes last for about 2-3 days when stored in an air-tight container or when kept wrapped in plastic wrap or cling film in the fridge at or below 40 degrees Fahrenheit.
It is worth mentioning that the shelf life of the pancakes also depends on the quality of the ingredients that are used to make them along with the storage conditions they are kept into. For instance, if the milk and eggs used to make the batter are fresh, the pancake will also stay fresh and will be of good quality.
How long do pancakes last in the freezer?
Pancakes last for about 3 months if stored properly in the freezer.
All you gotta do is cool your pancakes and afterward put them into a plastic freezer bag or wrap them in aluminum foil or cling film and store them in the freezer. You have to be careful while storing pancakes because if somehow the moisture or the chilly air of the freezer reaches the pancakes, it can mess up their quality.
Care should be taken while storing pancakes in the freezer and you can even opt for vacuum sealing if you want to further prolong the shelf life of pancakes. You can easily use a vacuum sealer pump to seal your pancakes and store them in the freezer.
How to freeze pancakes?
So what you can do to freeze the pancake is to first let the pancakes cool and once they get cooled, divide them into portions or serving sizes that you commonly use at a time. Now put them in the air-tight plastic bags.
Gently squeeze the bag to eliminate the excess air from it and seal the bag completely. You can even wrap the pancakes in aluminum foil before putting them in the plastic freezer bag for extra protection. Afterward, label the bags and store them in the freezer.
The reason behind dividing pancakes into portions or serving sizes is that you won’t have to get out the whole package of pancakes again and again from the freezer when all you want to get is one or two pancakes. Thus, you can easily thaw the required number of pancakes while the rest of the pancakes can stay frozen.
It is worth mentioning that you should never add syrup or cream to your pancakes if you want to freeze or refrigerate them as syrup or cream can make the pancakes soggy.
How to thaw and reheat pancakes?
There are a couple of ways to thaw pancakes and you can choose any of them depending on your requirement and choice.
- You can thaw frozen pancakes by leaving them in the fridge overnight.
- You can thaw and reheat your pancakes in the microwave but it is recommended to eat the pancakes thawed this way immediately.
- You can thaw and reheat pancakes by baking them in the oven but you should eat them immediately.
When it comes to reheating pancakes, the pancakes that are thawed in the fridge can be reheated in the toaster or under a preheated grill or you can even bake them in the oven and you will get your hands on crispy pancakes this way.
You can read how to make pancakes here.
Can I refrigerate the reheated pancakes?
You should never refreeze or refrigerate the reheated pancakes. The reason behind this is that when you reheat the refrigerated pancakes, then their temperature rises more than 40 degrees Fahrenheit and we know that bacterial growth takes place at a faster pace between 40 and 140 degrees Fahrenheit, therefore bacteria will start growing on it and it is recommended to discard any leftovers of your reheated pancakes.
Tips to properly store pancakes
- The pancakes can be stored in an air-tight container in the fridge or freezer. The air-tight container or the plastic zipper bag will ensure that air won’t find its way to your pancake, thereby preserving its freshness.
- You should let your pancakes cool thoroughly before storing them in the fridge or freezer in an air-tight container or plastic zipper bag. If you store hot pancakes in the air-tight container or plastic zipper bag then moisture will build up inside it, which can provide suitable media for microbes to grow on it.
- Pancakes should be stored away from strong-smelling food items like garlic, onion, fish, etc.
- It is recommended to store pancakes on one of the shelves of the refrigerator rather than the door as there are a lot of temperature fluctuations there.
- You should never add syrup or cream to your pancakes if you want to freeze or refrigerate them as syrup or cream can make the pancakes soggy.
Other FAQs about Pancake that you may be interested in.
In this brief guide, we answered the question “how long are pancakes good for in the fridge” with an in-depth analysis of the shelf life of pancakes. Moreover, we discussed the proper way to freeze, thaw, and reheat pancakes.