In this brief guide, we are going to answer the question “how long are muffins good for in the fridge” with an in-depth analysis of the shelf life of muffins in the fridge. Moreover, we are going to discuss tips to properly store muffins.
So without much ado, let’s dive in and figure out more about it.
Freshly baked muffins last for about a week when stored in the fridge in an air-tight container at or below 40 degrees Fahrenheit.
It is worth mentioning that you should store the muffins with an air-tight lid on them, to prevent them from picking up the smells of other food items present in the fridge.
The storage conditions in which the muffins are kept also affect their shelf life, therefore care should be taken in this regard.
What is the optimum temperature to store muffins?
You should store your frosted muffins at or below 40 degrees Fahrenheit in the fridge. Bacterial growth takes place at a faster pace between the temperature of 40 and 140 degrees Fahrenheit, therefore, it is always advised to store muffins at a lower temperature to preserve their freshness and quality for a long time.
How long are muffins good for in the pantry?
Generally, a muffin lasts for about 1-2 days if stored in an air-tight container or jar in a cool, dry, and dark corner of the pantry away from direct sunlight and heat.
It is worth mentioning that the figures mentioned above are the estimated shelf life of different types of muffins.
How long are muffins good for in the freezer?
You should store the muffins in an air-tight container, to prevent them from picking up the smells of other food items present in the freezer. It is worth mentioning that no doubt muffins last for about 3-4 months in the freezer if stored in an air-tight container or plastic zipper bag but the way you store them significantly impacts the quality of the muffin that you get once you thaw the frozen muffins.
If you have baked muffins in a large amount then the best thing you can do is to divide the muffins into portions having the number of muffins that you generally need.
The reason behind doing so is that it will save you from defrosting all the muffins when in reality you need 1 or two muffins. Thus, by dividing the muffins into portion sizes that you commonly need or by wrapping them individually, you can defrost the number of muffins that you need while the rest of them can safely stay in the freezer.
Thus what you can do is to bake the muffins, let them cool thoroughly, remove the paper muffin cases and divide the muffins into portions, put them in separate plastic freezer bags or air-tight containers, and afterward store them in the freezer.
Factors affecting the shelf life of muffins
There are a variety of factors that affect the shelf life of muffins.
- The preparation method of the muffins
- The ingredients used to make the muffins
- The storage conditions (Temperature, humidity, etc.)
Tips to properly store muffins
- After the baking cycle is over, you should let the muffins cool for about 10-15 minutes before removing them from the muffin pan.
- If you want to store muffins in the fridge or freezer, it is better not to add icing on it, you can add icing or other decorations on your muffin when you are ready to serve/ eat it.
- The muffins can be kept in an air-tight container in a cool, dry, and dark corner of the pantry away from direct sunlight and heat but it is better to store them in an air-tight container in the fridge to prolong their shelf life..
- The muffins can pick up odors therefore they should be stored in an air-tight container in the fridge. Moreover, the air-tight container will also ensure that air won’t find its way to your muffins, thereby preserving their freshness for a long time.
- Moreover, the muffins should be stored away from strong-smelling food items like garlic, onion, fish, etc.
- The muffins should be stored on the lowest shelf of the refrigerator as it is the coldest part of the refrigerator and has a temperature between 38 to 40 degrees Fahrenheit.
- The frozen muffins can be thawed easily by leaving them in the fridge overnight. Moreover what you can do is to remove the cling film or the plastic freezer bag in which you initially stored the muffins.
You can read how to make muffins here.
In this brief guide, we answered the question “how long are muffins good for in the fridge” with an in-depth analysis of the shelf life of muffins in the fridge. Moreover, we discussed tips to properly store muffins.