How long are kiwis good for? (5 tips for storage)
In this brief guide, we will answer the question, “How long are kiwis good for?” methods to store, ripen kiwi, and detect spoilt kiwi.
How long are kiwis good for?
Kiwi is good for almost two weeks. If the kiwi is cut, the shelf-life reduces to 3-4 hours at room temperature. The shelf-life of kiwi also depends on how it is stored. Kiwi that is not ripened can be kept at room temperature for two to three days.
An overripe kiwi fruit would not last for many days. It is best to consume it as soon as possible.
|Type of kiwi||Shelf-life in refrigerator||Shelf-life in freezer|
|Kiwi (whole)||3 weeks||11-12 months|
|Kiwi (cut)||4-5 days||11-12 months|
How to store kiwis?
- Unripe kiwis can be kept at room temperature of 65 to 70℃ till it is ripe. Once ripened, you can immediately consume it or store it in the refrigerator.
- If the kiwi has been cut, it has to be placed in an air-tight container to prevent it from getting spoilt. Keeping kiwi in the airtight container also preserves its moisture content.
- You can also freeze the kiwis to increase their shelf-life. Thawing can darken the color of the kiwis but it would still be safe to consume.
- Dehydrating the kiwis at 130℉ at 9-10 hours can also prolong the kiwi’s shelf-life.
- You can also refer to the Eat By Date of the kiwi listed on its package.
How to detect spoilt kiwi?
- The outer skin and inside of the skin should be checked for mold growth. This could be detected by the appearance of white-colored mold outside the kiwi or inside the pulp.
- If the kiwi looks dry or the pulp has shrunk it could be an indication of spoilage. If the skin of the fruit is shriveled, the kiwi has likely been spoilt.
- Wet or mushy spots in the kiwi are another indication of spoilage. You can try squeezing the kiwi gently to detect this.
- You can also smell the kiwi to detect signs of deterioration. If the kiwi has an acidic or unpleasant smell instead of the citrusy smell, it is likely to be spoilt.
What needs to be kept in mind before buying kiwis?
Buy kiwis when they are in season. Kiwis are usually bought from Chile or New Zealand. Kiwis sold from December to April are likely to be unripe as the growing season is from May to November.
Also, buy kiwis that are devoid of any bruises or scars. The ripeness and unripeness of the kiwi can be detected by squeezing the kiwi. If the kiwi is firm, it is likely to be unripe. Avoid buying shriveled kiwis and buy plump ones.
How to ripen kiwis?
Kiwis can be placed close to apples or bananas. Apples and bananas both contain ethylene. You can pack the unripe kiwis close to bananas or apples to fasten the ripening process. Avoid consuming hard kiwis as it is probably unripe.
Keeping the kiwis close to avocados, tomatoes, peaches, figs, apricots, peaches, cantaloupes, or pears can also ripen them faster. Check the kiwis in 20-24 hours to prevent them from over-ripening.
To ripen the kiwis, you can also cut them in half and wrap them in plastic foil or an airtight container. The ripening process can occur within two to three days.
Why does sour taste while consuming kiwi indicate?
Unripened kiwis often taste sour. You can ripen the kiwis by placing them at room temperature for a short period of time.
Can the skin of kiwi be consumed?
Yes, the skin of the kiwi can be consumed. The skin of kiwi is a good source of fiber. Besides, if you do not peel a kiwi, it preserves the vitamin C content of the fruit.
What is the difference between yellow and green kiwi?
The green kiwi fruit would have hairy skin and green pulp while the yellow kiwi has hairless skin and yellow-colored pulp. The green kiwi fruit has a bigger core with more seeds whereas the yellow kiwi fruit has a smaller core with lesser seeds compared to its green counterpart.
The taste also differs. The yellow kiwi tastes sweeter than the greener one as it is high in fructose. The green kiwi has a tangy taste.
In this brief guide, we have answered the question, “How long are kiwis good for?” methods to store, ripen kiwi, and detect spoilt kiwi.