How is vodka made from potatoes?
In this brief guide, we are going to answer the question “how is vodka made from potatoes” with an in-depth analysis of the classic recipe used to make vodka from potatoes. Moreover, we are going to highlight what are the different types and benefits of vodkas.
How is vodka made from potatoes?
Potato vodka is normally made from potatoes through a long process of different steps, such as mashing, fermentation, straining, and distilling.
Recipe to make vodka from potato
Take gallons of water, potatoes, crushed malted barley, mash pot, source of heat, thermometer, and spoon.
- Take potatoes and properly wash and clean them.
- Cut the potatoes in the form of cubes.
- Take water in a pan and place the potatoes in water for boiling for about 20 minutes.
- After boiling, mash the potatoes either by hand or by using a blender.
- Transfer your mashed potatoes into a mash board and add about 7 gallons of water.
- Turn on the heat source and give the temperature to about 140 degrees Fahrenheit. Continuously stir the mixture until the desired temperature is reached as potatoes at the bottom can be burned on continuous heat exposure.
- Once the water starts boiling, add about 5 pounds of crushed malted barley and continue to stir.
- heat the mixture for more than 20 minutes at about 140 degrees Fahrenheit. Now raise the temperature to about 152 degrees Fahrenheit and hold the mixture at this temperature for about one hour.
- Cool the mash to about 75 degrees fighting height. If you have enough time, you can also let it cool overnight, which can allow the maximum breakage of potato starch by enzymes.
- For fermentation, take yeast, cheesecloth, citric acid, PS meter, iodine, and hydrometer.
- First of all, heat the mega yeast starter in a mason Jar by mixing water, sugar, and yeast and let it sit for about 20 minutes.
- Take mash liquid into a fermentation bucket after straining.
- Add the yeast starter culture into the fermentation bucket and lock it completely.
- Let the mixture format for about two weeks at room temperature. Check the fermentation throughout the fermentation process. I could also check the fermentation status of the vodka.
After fermentation, the solid materials need to be completely removed from the mixture. For this, an artist cloud can be used to strain the mixture.
- It is considered one of the most important steps in the production of vodka. Clean the steel with a spirit.
- Make sure that each part is perfectly a dash to the still. For copper steel, you need to apply floor passes to the joint once you reach the temperature of about 110 degrees Fahrenheit and for a condenser, the water should be turned on at the temperature of 130 degrees Fahrenheit.
- At 170 degrees Fahrenheit, adjust your heat source. For obtaining a consistent drip you need to turn on the heat source.
- The word guys should be properly collected from the distillate for which you need to have some training in the process of distillation.
- The first 5% of the still run contains a high level of methanol that is extremely toxic Thus, the best is to discard this part.
- The next 30% is also raging volatile alcohols, acetones that are also thought to be toxic for your health.
- The next 30% off the distillate is hard having a maximum high-quality boat guy in it. And the last 35% is pale. We are just high in protein and carbohydrate content.
- The consumable vodka is the one obtained from the heart portion.
Best types of vodkas
Some of the best-known types of vodka are green vodka, potato vodka, and corn and fruit vodka.
Benefits of vodka
Vodka is known to provide certain benefits that are listed below.
- Vodka is a natural antiseptic agent that can help you to treat toothaches, clean your wounds, and houses.
- It can also be used to relieve stress because of the alcoholic content present inside it.
- Work is also considered a heart-healthy beverage as it contains a very low number of calories.
- Most skincare products also contain a small amount of vodka.
- It can also be used as a deceptive mouth to maintain oral hygiene.
- The symptoms of arthritis can also be alleviated through the use of vodka as it can reduce inflammation due to the presence of some antioxidants in it.
- Diabetes can also be reduced through the consumption of vodka.
You can find some of the best potato vodka drinks here.
Other FAQs about Vodka that you may be interested in.
In this brief guide, we answered the question “how is vodka made from potatoes” with an in-depth analysis of the method that can be used to make the vodka from potatoes. Moreover, we discussed what are the different types and benefits of vodkas.