In this brief guide, we are going to answer the question “how good is raw chicken in the fridge” with an in-depth analysis of the shelf life of a chicken. Moreover, we are going to discuss the easy way to do vacuum sealing at home and the tips to store raw chicken properly.
So without much ado, let’s dive in and figure out more about it.
How good is raw chicken in the fridge?
The raw chicken stays good in the fridge for approximately 1-2 days as long as the safety standards are maintained. chicken should be stored in air-tight shallow containers or the air-tight plastic zipper bags on the lowest shelf of the fridge.
How long does raw chicken keep in the freezer?
A whole raw chicken lasts for about a year while chicken pieces last for about 9 months and ground chicken lasts for about 2-3 months if kept in an air-tight container, plastic freezer bag, or heavy-duty freezer containers in the freezer.
Thus keeping the raw chicken in the freezer will increase its shelf life considerably owing to the cool temperature of the freezer that halts the bacterial growth on the raw chicken.
In the case of fresh chicken, you should wash it thoroughly and pat it dry and afterward proceed with the further steps. It is a good practice to divide the chicken into portions or serving sizes that you generally need. By doing so you will be able to just thaw the quantity of chicken or the number of chicken fillets that you need while the rest of the chicken will stay safely in the freezer.
So you can easily store the chicken by wrapping it in aluminum foil or plastic wrap and afterward putting it in the plastic freezer bag or heavy-duty freezer container before storing it in the freezer to protect your chicken from freezer burns.
Moreover, to preserve the quality of the chicken for quite a long time you can opt for vacuum sealing it which is quite effective in prolonging its shelf life.
How long does raw chicken last after being frozen and thawed?
When it comes to defrosting the frozen chicken, there are a couple of ways that you can choose from.
- The recommended way to thaw the frozen chicken is to leave it in the refrigerator overnight and let it thaw there. The chicken thawed this way can be kept in the fridge for 1-2 days before cooking and eating it.
- You can thaw the frozen chicken in a bowl of cold water but you should cook it immediately after thawing.
- You can even thaw your chicken in the microwave. If you are thawing the chicken in the oven or microwave it is recommended to cook it immediately.
What is the optimum temperature to store raw chicken?
You should always store your raw chicken at 40°F or below. Bacterial growth takes place at a faster pace between the temperature of 40°F and 140°F, therefore it is always advised to store your raw chicken at a lower temperature.
The proper way to vacuum seal raw chicken at home
You can opt for vacuum sealing at home that involves the process of putting the raw chicken in a plastic zipper bag, removing air from it, and almost sealing the bag with a little space left while lowering it into water.
Afterward, press out the bubbles from the bag starting from the bottom of the bag and once you reach the sealed end, you should press the seal closed.
The reason behind doing vacuum sealing is to ensure that there is minimum air present in the plastic zipper bag with the raw chicken. As air has moisture and oxygen in it that favors bacterial growth, so by removing air, raw chicken can retain its freshness for a long time. Moreover, you can also use a vacuum sealer pump to easily vacuum seal the raw chicken.
Tips to store raw chicken properly
- The raw chicken should be washed thoroughly before storing it in an air-tight container or bag in the fridge. Moreover, you can also opt for vacuum sealing for retaining the freshness of raw chicken for a long time.
- It is a good practice to store the raw chicken on the shelf of the fridge rather than the door as there is a lot of temperature fluctuation at the door of the fridge.
- It is best practice to store the raw chicken on the lowest shelf of the fridge to eliminate any chances of its dripping on any other food item.
- Refrigerate the raw chicken promptly at or below 40°F.
You can read turkey vs chicken here.
In this brief guide, we answered the question “how good is raw chicken in the fridge” with an in-depth analysis of the shelf life of a chicken. Moreover, we discussed the easy way to do vacuum sealing at home and the tips to store raw chicken properly.