In this brief guide, we are going to answer the question “how does almond milk taste” with an in-depth analysis of the taste profile and nutritional profile of almond milk. Moreover, we are going to discuss the proper way to store almond milk to preserve its freshness for a long time.
So without much ado, let’s dive in and figure out more about it.
How does almond milk taste?
Generally, almond milk has a nutty flavor with slight notes of sweetness and is creamy in texture. It is worth mentioning that because almond milk comes in so many different flavors, from unsweetened almond milk to vanilla almond milk and many more, the flavor differs from one brand to the other.
Moreover, in the case of homemade almond milk, you can choose the thickness of your almond milk. For a texture equivalent to 2% cow’s milk, mix one cup almond milk with two cups of water, or you can further reduce the amount of water for a creamier consistency.
How to make almond milk at home?
- Cover the almonds with 2 inches of cold water in a big jar or medium bowl.
- Cover with a clean kitchen towel and leave at room temperature overnight or in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. The reason behind doing so is that the almonds soften after being soaked.
- Drain the water in which almonds were soaked and rinse the almonds under cold running water in a fine-mesh strainer.
- Combine drained, soaked almonds, 2 cups water, salt, and maple syrup in a blender or food processor.
- Blend on high until the almonds are finely crushed and the liquid is clear.
- Using a nut milk bag or a fine-mesh strainer fitted with cheesecloth, drain the almond milk into a large measuring cup.
- Close the nut bag or tie up the ends of the cheesecloth and massage out as much almond milk as you can.
- Refrigerate for at least 1 hour, or until completely cool.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
What is the nutritional value of almond milk?
Almond milk is packed with many essential micronutrients and macronutrients that make it a good choice if you want to avoid regular milk. It contains very few amounts of calories just like other plant-based beverages. It contains only about 39 calories per cup.
Almond milk also contains about 3 grams of fat, 3.5 grams of carbohydrates, and 1 gram of protein in one cup (240 ml). Moreover, it is also a good source of many vitamins and minerals like Vitamin D, Vitamin E, Potassium, and Calcium.
What are the health benefits of almond milk?
- Being rich in Vitamin E, almond milk protects your body against free radicals. Thereby it plays an important role in making the skin healthier and promoting eye health.
- Moreover, the unsweetened varieties of almond milk have very low sugar content. So if you want to cut down your sugar level, it is recommended to opt for unsweetened almond milk.
- As no milk or milk products are used in its formulation so it does not have lactose, whey protein, or casein protein present in it which makes it suitable for people with lactose intolerance, milk allergies. As it is a plant-based milk variant, therefore, it can also be utilized by vegans and vegetarians.
You can read more about the benefits of almond milk here.
How long does almond milk last?
Shelf-stable or the almond milk that is sold unrefrigerated lasts for about 1-2 months past its “best before” date, if it is still unopened and stored in a cool, dry and dark corner of your pantry away from direct sunlight and heat. As for almond milk that has already been opened, its lifespan is 7-10 days in the fridge, regardless of whether you bought it chilled or at room temperature.
On the other hand, the unopened almond milk that is sold refrigerated lasts for about 5-7 days after the “use by” date when stored in the fridge at or below 40 degrees Fahrenheit.
Homemade almond milk lasts for about 3-4 days when stored in an air-tight container or bottle in the fridge at or below 40 degrees Fahrenheit.
Moreover, open almond milk lasts for about 2 hours when left out of the fridge at room temperature. Therefore it is recommended to keep it refrigerated. The same holds true for the homemade almond milk which lasts for about 2 hours when left out in the open.
Tips to properly store almond milk
- You should store almond milk at 40°F or below in the fridge. Bacterial growth takes place at a faster pace between the temperature of 40°F and 140°F, therefore it is always advised to store almond milk at a lower temperature to preserve its freshness and quality for a long time.
- Almond milk can pick up odors therefore it should be stored in an air-tight container or bottle in the fridge. Moreover, it should be stored away from strong-smelling food items like garlic, onion, etc.
- It is better to store the almond milk on a shelf of the refrigerator rather than the door as there is a lot of temperature fluctuation at the door of the fridge and that can harm the quality of almond milk.
- It is best practice to store the almond milk on the lowest shelf of the refrigerator as it is the coldest part of the refrigerator and has its temperature between 38 °F to 40 °F.
In this brief guide, we answered the question “how does almond milk taste” with an in-depth analysis of the taste profile and nutritional profile of almond milk. Moreover, we discussed the proper way to store almond milk to preserve its freshness for a long time.