In this brief guide, we will answer the question “How do you preserve fresh curry leaves?” by providing you with tips for their proper storage. We will also discuss their shelf lives, their uses and health benefits.
How do you preserve fresh curry leaves?
You can preserve fresh curry leaves and make them last longer by storing them properly in the fridge, freeze, or in the pantry. We will tell you how to store curry leaves according to the place of storage.
- Remove the stems from the curry leaves.
- Wash the curry leaves thoroughly.
- Pat them dry using a paper towel or use a salad spinner to spin them dry.
- You can also let them dry naturally at room temperature.
- Next line an airtight jar with paper towels and place the curry leaves inside it.
- Alternatively, you can wrap the curry leaves in the paper towel and place them in the jar.
- You can also put them inside a ziplock bag lined with paper towels. Leave half of the ziplock bag open so that the moisture does not get trapped inside.
- Tightly seal the jar.
- Place it in the fridge.
- Remove the curry leaves from their stems.
- Wash them.
- Dry them with a paper towel until no more water is left.
- Place them in an airtight jar lined with paper towels.
- Tightly seal the jar.
- Place it in the freezer.
Another great and very reliable method of storing curry leaves is by drying them out first and then storing in the pantry. We will tell you how:
- Remove the curry leaves from their stems and wash them.
- Next, put them under direct sunlight for 1-3 days.
- When they become crispy, blend them to make a powder.
- Store this dried curry leaves powder in an airtight jar in your pantry.
- You can also refrigerate or freeze the dried curry leaves.
- Take a jar and fill it with water. Immerse the curry leaves’ stems inside the water keeping the leaves outside. You can even place these on the countertop.
- Wash the leaves and pat them dry. Rub cooking oil on both sides of the leaves. This will also preserve their freshness for a long time.
What is the shelf life of curry leaves?
Curry leaves generally last for only 5-7 days when kept in a temperature that is below 50 degrees F.
When kept properly in the fridge they can last upto 3-4 months.
If they are stored in the freezer, they can last for more than 4 months.
What do curry leaves taste like?
Curry leaves have a slightly bitter, tangerine peel like taste and a citrusy aroma. They greatly enhance the flavor of the dish they are added to. When added while cooking, they give off a nutty smell and release the flavor which is slightly sweet with lemony notes.
What are curry leaves used for?
Curry leaves are used widely in cooking to add and enhance the flavor of many dishes. Let’s have a look at some of their uses.
They are used to make curries, which you might have guessed by their name. They are used to make a bunch of different curry dishes namely:
- Lamb & lentil curry
- Balinese chicken curry
- Meatball curry
- Spicy durban chicken curry
- Tomato and tamarind curry
- Salmon curry
- Malaysian chicken curry
And many others.
- You can fry the curry leaves in oil or ghee and once the curry leaves have softened, you can add these on top of any dish you like. This is called “tadka” in Indian cuisine.
- You can cut up dry curry leaves and put them on top of any savory dish.
- If you are making bone broth, be it chicken or beef, add curry leaves in the mix for a kick.
- You can combine a bunch of spices like chili powder, coriander, turmeric and add dried curry leaves powder for a different kind of spice mix.
- You can infuse oil with curry leaves and use this oil as a dip.
- You can also make a dip or chutney with curry leaves.
- While baking savory baked goods like bread, cut up some curry leaves and add to the batter or dough.
Are curry leaves healthy?
Curry leaves have a bunch of health benefits. They are loaded with antioxidants. They also have anti bacterial and anti inflammatory effects. They also help in controlling the blood sugar levels so they are good for diabetic patients.
They also help in keeping the heart healthy. In addition, they may also have anti cancer effects.
Other FAQs about Curry that you may be interested in.
In this brief guide, we answered the question “How do you preserve fresh curry leaves?” by providing you with tips for their proper storage. We also discussed their shelf lives, their uses and health benefits.