In this article, we will teach you how to peel a tomato like a pro. We will teach you at least three ways to peel a tomato and finish with two delicious recipes with peeled tomatoes that we promise even beginners can try!
How do you peel a tomato?
Here’s how to peel a tomato like a chef:
- Wash the tomato, then remove, using a knife, its stalk.
- At the top of the side opposite the peduncle, draw a cross (without pressing too much, the incision should be light) with the tip of the knife.
- Boil water, and immerse the tomato for 6 seconds in boiling water.
- Once out of the boiling water, place it in a bowl of very cold water (ice cold water) for 5 seconds.
- Remove the tomato from the bowl, then gently pull at the incisions: the skin will peel off on its own!
Thanks to this trick, peeling a tomato (or even several) will become a child’s play!
Alternative ways to peel tomatoes
Using a potato peeler is an obvious solution, but there are quicker tricks with which there is no possibility of cutting yourself:
- With the gas burner fire – The easiest and fastest valid if you have a gas stove.
Turn on the fire, prick the tomato at the top with the fork.
Bring the tomato about 2.5 cm from the flame; you will see that the skin begins to wrinkle. Let stand a minute and remove the skin; the tomato will be ready for the recipe.
- In the microwave – Another quick and easy alternative:
Make a cross-shaped cut through the bottom of the tomato.
We place them on a plate with the cross facing up.
Cover with plastic wrap or a microwave lid
Program 1 minute and 20 seconds. Do not open the microwave; let it rest for another 20 seconds.
Remove the tomatoes from the microwave; you will see that the skin now comes out very easily.
- With boiling water – It’s easy and perfect if you have to peel 3 or 4 tomatoes at once
Add water to a pot or casserole about half, bring it to a boil.
Make a cross with the knife at the bottom of each tomato.
Put the tomatoes in the boiling water for 25 seconds.
Remove the tomatoes and let them rest in the salad bowl with water and ice.
Let them sit for a few minutes and pull the skin to remove it.
Recipes with peeled tomatoes: Pallet of peeled tomatoes
Ingredients for six servings:
- Six ripe tomatoes, peeled, chopped
- 6 eggs
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 large white onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon of oil
- 1 teaspoon ground chili pepper or pepper
- 1 cup chopped parsley or cilantro or basil
The pallet of peeled tomatoes is a dish made with a delicious tomato sauce and eggs. The truth is that it is a very simple preparation, but it is delicious.
- First of all, what we do is that in a saucepan with boiling water, we peel the tomatoes, chopped into cubes, place them in a saucepan, and put the teaspoon of bicarbonate on them to balance the acidic pH of the tomato a little. We do not have to be scared since the abundant foam will come out while we turn it. We reserve it.
- Place the tablespoon of oil in a large frying pan, no more, and fry the chopped onion and finely chopped garlic. We leave until the onion crystallizes, at which point we add the peeled tomatoes.
During cooking, this has to be made a kind of puree. We are breaking the eggs one by one on a plate (in case one is ugly), and we make a hole in your tomato preparation, which will have thickened, and there we are placing the eggs. We do this with the remaining eggs and cover the pan so that the whites set.
- When they are completely done, we only have to serve one egg to each diner, with its corresponding part of the sauce, and that’s it. Enjoy!
Recipes with peeled tomatoes: Indian dhal of coral lentils and mild spices
Ingredients for five people:
- 2 unit (s) Garlic cloves
- 200 grams of Lentil can be coral
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 pinch of fresh coriander (optional)
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 unit (s) of sweet green pepper
- 1 teaspoon of Cumin
- 1 tablespoon of sesame seeds
- 1 teaspoon of Turmeric or two
- 2 tablespoon of coconut grated or powder
- 1 pinch of peeled tomato
- 1 unit (s) of Sojade Cuisine, culinary specialty almost a pot, 15 cl
Indian (or Hindu) Dhal with coral lentils and mild spices is a light and very aromatic recipe, in the line of Indian cuisine, and the lentils that have been used are red lentils or coral lentils. However, it can be made with any other. This recipe is usually presented as an appetizer or first course and usually accompanied by some bread with a little flavor to dip it in the sauce.
- Wash the lentils well (until the water is not cloudy, do several times) and cook the lentils over low heat for 10 minutes in 50 cl of water. Add the chopped green pepper, the cayenne pepper and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Brown the garlic and minced shallots in olive oil and add the sesame seeds. Mix, add the peeled tomatoes, cut into pieces, and put on a very low heat for 5 minutes.
- Add this mixture to the lentils, add the coconut, add a pinch of salt and simmer for another 5 minutes. Serve with bulgur.
Preparation advice: On cold winter days, it is preferable to take the Indian Dhal of coral lentils and spices very hot, with bread or accompanied by some rice that complements the creamy and buttery texture Dhal. It is recommended to finish the dish with fresh parsley or coriander on top. Enjoy!