In this article, we will answer the following question: How do you cut acidity in food? We will teach you how to cut the acidity in certain products, and also give you a few quick tips to control stomach acidity.
How do you cut the acidity in food?
To cut the acidity in food you have to counteract acidic products with alkaline foods, but you also have to change your eating habits, especially if you are suffering from heartburns. What a person eats and drinks during a day can be a major cause of heartburn.
Any product with a high content of milk, chocolate, or soda can trigger heartburn. Sufficient water intake during a day could dilute the number of acids released. If a person has a craving for sweets, flavored water or low-fat yogurts could be a good option for healthy digestion and in order to prevent a gastric acid crisis.
How do you cut the acidity in:
- Coffee and tea – too much coffee or tea, consumed throughout the day could obviously be one of the major causes of heartburn. A clever way to reduce this intake is to choose a small glass from which tea or coffee will be consumed – this way, the quantities consumed will be reduced by half.
- Alcohol and peanuts – due to their high-fat content, peanuts (especially peanuts) would not be a suitable option for those suffering from acidity. Peanuts are usually served with an alcoholic beverage and the combination of the two is a sure way to trigger acidity.
- Citrus fruits and tomatoes – these foods are already naturally acidic, so if a person suffers from stomach acidity, consuming them can aggravate the symptom. Instead, you can opt for starchy vegetables or neutral fruits such as bananas, seafood, potatoes – they help neutralize acid levels.
- Salads – eating fresh food when the digestive system is affected, maybe a cause of the presence of acidity – they can aggravate gastric reflux. It would be recommended that the salads be steamed before eating. Also, avoid sauces based on sour cream and mayonnaise and choose the sauce with fresh yogurt instead.
- Fatty and spicy foods – fried or spicy foods are difficult to digest and cause stomach acidity. It would be preferable not to eat even pickles. Recommended, among these, would be grilled meat and fish cooked in the oven.
Quick tips to control stomach acidity
- Sleep and rest – lost nights and insufficient sleep lead to increased acid production. People who have a disorganized schedule have bad eating and sleeping habits, aggravating the problem.
- Physical activity – regular walking improves the digestive system. A slow walk after dinner can help the digestive system function better. People who suffer from acidity as a result of a stressful lifestyle will find that a brisk walk helps decrease stress levels and gastric acidity.
- Stress – even if many of the rules for a healthy life are followed, stress can be a major cause of heartburn. The most important thing is to identify the problem and accept that you are stressed. Meditation can be helpful in freeing the mind from negative thoughts and in inducing relaxation.
A healthy lifestyle can be a permanent solution to gastric acidity. Once the discomfort has been alleviated, returning to an unhealthy life can trigger heartburn again. As such, the changes must be permanent.
- The wrong remedies – some people believe that if they drink a glass of cold water or ice cream they can reduce gastric acidity. But calcium in milk will worsen the acidity, and fat in ice cream can increase heartburn.
The following measures can be taken to manage gastric acidity:
- Coconut and nutmeg powder should be used to refresh the oral cavity, after any meal;
- drink mint juice;
- drink a glass of water in which a teaspoon of baking soda has been dissolved;
- mix two teaspoons of apple cider vinegar with two teaspoons of honey and drink with a glass of water before meals;
- Make an infusion of cumin seed tea;
- drink 1-2 glasses of warm water, daily, every morning;
- drink coconut water 3-4 times a day;
- Suck a small piece of brown sugar after meals.
In order to avoid gastric acidity, the following tips can be taken into account:
- do not eat in a hurry and do not skip meals;
- do not eat before going to bed;
- avoid the consumption of tea, coffee, and other soft drinks;
- aspirin should not be used frequently;
- do not eat raw salad (onions, radishes, peppers, etc.);
- avoid fried foods, pickles, hot, spicy foods, vinegar, and chocolate;
- do not smoke or consume alcohol.
In this article, we answered the following question: How do you cut acidity in food? We taught you how to cut the acidity in certain products, and also gave you a few quick tips to control stomach acidity.
We remind you that the best way to cut acidity in food is to balance the flavors, using both alkaline and acidic products in the same dish. If you have a history of heartburn, it is best to avoid acidic foods altogether!
If you have any comments or questions on the content, please let us know!