How big is a grain of rice?
In this brief guide, we will address the query, “How big is a grain of rice?” and answer other related questions like “What are the different types of rice grains one can use?”.
How big is a grain of rice?
To answer the question, ‘how big is a grain of rice? We can say that it is 7 to 9 millimeters. The size of the grain of rice depends on which type of rice grain it is.
There are many different types of rice grains such as Long grain white rice, Medium grain white rice, Short grain white rice, Long grain brown rice, Parboiled rice, Basmati rice, Jasmine rice.
The size of the grain of rice depends on which type of rice it is, there are three main types of rice sizes such as short, medium and large.
For every one type of grain of rice, it is –
Long grain white rice – 5.2 millimeters in length
White rice is milled rice which is later polished that gives it a shiny finish, the texture of this rice helps it have a long storage life. It is rich in sources such as iron, B1, B3 vitamins.
Medium grain white rice – Between 19 inches to 25 inches
It is the same as white rice, just different in size.
Short grain white rice – 5.5 millimeters
It is like the standard long white rice just has a shorter grain size and has more starch.
Long grain brown rice – 6.60 mm
Brown grain is whole grain rice, its bran layer and gem layers remain unbroken. It is healthier than white rice as it is richer in magnesium and fiber making it good for heart health. Brown rice takes more cooking time. Brown is nuttier in taste.
Parboiled rice – 6 cm
Parboiled rice is the rice that is boiled in the husk, made through the process of soaking, steaming and drying. It is mostly processed by hand. Parboiled rice is rich in nutrients such as vitamin B1 or thiamine.
Basmati rice – 7.50 mm
Basmati rice is mostly grown in India, Pakistan and Nepal. The grain of this type is long, is richer in flavor and very aromatic, and is also high in fiber.
Jasmine rice – 6 mm
Jasmine rice is another aromatic rice that is long and as the name suggests it has fragrance and aroma. Jasmine rice is mostly grown in Thailand. It comes from a plant species known as Oryza sativa. It is rich in vitamin B1, vitamin B6, manganese, phosphorus, and magnesium.
What are some interesting facts about rice?
Now that we have learned about the size and nature of different types of rice, let us discuss some interesting facts about rice.
- One of the best things about rice is that it goes well with almost every dish and has a lot of health benefits such as fiber, iron, vitamin B, vitamin B6, magnesium, phosphorus etcetera and is good for heart health and helps maintain digestive health. Rice goes well with almost any recipe, both savory and sweet.
- There are many different varieties of rice. Each type of rice has a distinct taste and aroma.
- Rice grains are of many different sizes. They could be whole or broken. The size of a rice gran changes completely when it is cooked.
- Some types of rice feel very light when they are eaten. Some on the contrary feel heavy. This is what makes rice a very delicious dish.
- Since there are many different types of rice, there are many different ways to cook rice; stovetop, rice cooker, multi-cooker (Instant Pot), microwave, oven-baked etcetera.
- To avoid a situation of rice going bad, cooked rice should not be left at room temperature for more than an hour after cooking.
Cooked rice will then last up to six days in the refrigerator.
- It doesn’t take much time to cook rice. Unlike most other dishes, rice can be cooked and served in no time. Other side dishes are prepared first as they are more time consuming than rice.
- Rice can make the most aromatic dishes and can be eaten every day since it is packed with nutrients that make it a complete delight.
Other FAQs about Rice that you may be interested in.
In this brief guide, we have addressed the query, “How big is a grain of rice?” and answered other related questions like “What are the different types of rice grains one can use?”