In this brief article, we are going to answer the question,”How big are tuna?”, and discuss what tuna is, the different types of tuna with respect to their size, along with the nutritional profile and health benefits of tuna.
How big are tuna?
Tuna are about 15-79 inches big and can weigh from about 3-400 pounds. The size of tuna is dependent on the tuna species. For example, albacore tuna are as big as 15-40 inches weighing about 10-25 pounds. The bluefin tuna are the largest amongst all the species of tuna weighing about more than 500 pounds.
What is tuna?
Tuna are a type of saltwater fish which are majorly found in the Atlantic ocean and Indonesia. It is amongst the common variety of seafood which consists of a meaty flavour and has a high nutritional profile.
What are the different types of tuna with respect to their size?
There are 15 different types of tuna:
- Longtail tuna – a tuna fish with short fins which is 4 ft long and weighs about 80 pounds.
- Blackfin tuna – are three feet long and weigh about 45 pounds
- Pacific bluefin tuna – are over 10 ft long and can weigh about 1000 pounds.
- Skipjack tuna – are 3 feet long and weigh 60 pounds
- Yellowfin tuna – are 6 ft long and weigh about 200 pounds
- Little tunny – are 2 ft long weighing about 30 pounds.
- Albacore tuna – are also large in size and is the most common type found as a canned fish in supermarkets and grocery stores.
- Bullet tuna – are over 20 inches long but are light in weight
- Mackerel tuna – are small in size but are difficult to fish, because they fight real hard when they get caught in the fishing line.
- Slender tuna – are 3 ft long and weigh about 25 pounds.
- Black skipjack tuna – a bony fish which is rarely found in supermarkets
- Bigeye tuna – are about 7 ft long weighing almost 400 pounds. Have big eyes and are a cousin of the yellowfin tuna.
- Southern bluefin tuna – it is a costly fish and is 8 ft in length weighing approximately 600 pounds.
- Atlantic bluefin tuna – can grow and weigh up to 1000 pounds, and is the largest type of tuna found.
- Frigate tuna – can grow as long as 25 inches but weigh upto 3-4 pounds.
What is the nutritional profile of tuna?
Tuna is an excellent source of vitamin D and provides 50% of the recommended intake of the particular vitamin. 4 ounces of tuna fish provides almost 145 calories, 27 grams of protein, and almost 4 grams fat.
It does not provide carbohydrates , fibre or sugars. Tuna is also a good source of various other micronutrients including, iron, vitamin B6, potassium, selenium and iodine.
What are the health benefits of tuna?
The high amounts of vitamin D and potassium are essential and beneficial in promoting bone health by increasing the amount of nutrient absorption into bone. The presence of iron, and B12 helps to prevent iron deficiency and pernicious anaemia which is mostly common in pregnant and young females.
Tuna fish along with most other types of fish have good amounts of omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids, which are beneficial and play an essential role in heart health, maintaining blood pressures, reducing LDL and promoting HDL cholesterol, and reducing the risk of heart attacks and strokes.
Omega -3 and omega-6 are also essential for the proper functioning of brains and neurons. A well known benefit of fish is that they are good for memory.
They also promote weight loss, when taken in the standard serving amounts which is usually 1 ounce and are a source of low fat contributing to less calories. The omega- in tuna is also important for healthy vision, especially from the prevention of dry eyes.
The high amounts of sodium in canned and fresh tuna should however be taken into account when dealing with patients with chronic kidney diseases and heart diseases.
In this brief article, we answered the question,”How big are tuna?”, and discussed what tuna is, the different types of tuna with respect to their size along with the nutritional profile and health benefits of tuna.