In this brief article, we will answer the question, “Does sweetened condensed milk go bad?” methods to detect spoilage in sweetened condensed milk, storing condensed milk, and shelf-life of condensed milk.
Does sweetened condensed milk go bad?
Yes, sweetened condensed milk can go bad. Sweetened condensed milk can stay unspoiled for a longer duration than unsweetened condensed milk because of the addition of sugar.
How to detect spoilage in sweetened condensed milk?
There are a few signs to detect spoilage in sweetened condensed milk which are provided below:
- Condensed milk usually has a pale yellow appearance but when it starts to get spoilt, it develops a darkish yellow color.
- The texture of the sweetened condensed milk also undergoes a change. Condensed milk is naturally thick but if you find it difficult to pour it out of the container, it might have got spoilt.
- The smell of condensed milk is also an indicator of spoilage. It usually has a sweet and pleasant smell. If the condensed milk gives off a foul odor, it is better to discard them.
- If the condensed milk develops mold, it is better to throw them away. Mold growth is usually observed when the condensed milk is not sealed tightly or exposed to excess moisture.
- Also, observe the can of the sweetened condensed milk to check for signs of spoilage. If you observe that the can has dents, rust, or leaks avoid buying the condensed milk or consuming them.
If the can is bulging, it is another indicator of spoilage as bulging is a sign of gas formation by the microbes.
- The taste of spoilt condensed milk is stale and unpleasant. It might also give off a sour taste.
What is the shelf-life of condensed milk?
Unopened condensed milk can last at least for a year. If stored properly, it can last for many years and past the printed date.
Opened condensed milk has a shorter shelf-life and can last for almost 2-3 weeks. If the condensed milk has passed the expiry date, check for signs of spoilage before consuming them.
If the condensed milk has been prepared at home, it can last for a week. The shelf-life might extend if stored in the freezer for probably 2-3 months.
How to store sweetened condensed milk?
If you store sweetened condensed milk appropriately, it can last longer and past its date of expiry. Below are some of the methods to store condensed milk.
- Unopened condensed milk can be kept in the pantry but make sure to keep it in a cool and dry place.
- Opened condensed milk needs to be immediately refrigerated. You can also transfer the condensed milk from its original container to an airtight container. This would prevent the incidences of can bulging, can rusting, dents, or leaks.
- If you do not have an airtight container, wrap the container in plastic wrap or seal it with a rubber band.
- If you would like to store the opened condensed milk for a longer time, you can place them in the freezer. For defrosting the condensed milk, place them in the fridge overnight and then use it.
You can also heat the container in a water bath to defrost them before using them. The condensed milk can be frozen for 2-3 months.
Make sure to seal the container properly before freezing them. This would prevent the sweetened condensed milk’s texture or flavor from changing.
If you observe that the condensed milk is a little watery, make sure to give it a good stir before using it. Also, avoid placing an unopened can of condensed milk into the freezer as the freezer can damage the consistency of the product.
- Store the condensed milk away from strongly-odored foods as the condensed milk can pick up the food odors and give off that smell.
- If you have prepared condensed milk at home, make sure to not store it at room temperature for a long time.
Other FAQs on condensed milk that you might be interested in.
Can you place sweetened condensed milk in the freezer?
Yes, you can place the sweetened condensed milk in the freezer. For this purpose, you would have to seal the condensed milk container appropriately before storing them to reduce the impact of freezer damage.
If your condensed milk is sweetened, it, fortunately, would not develop a solid texture because it has high sugar content. When you wish to use the condensed milk you would need to thaw it overnight in the fridge or place them on the counter.
In this brief article, we have answered the question, “Does sweetened condensed milk go bad?” methods to detect spoilage in sweetened condensed milk, storing condensed milk, and shelf-life of condensed milk.