In this brief guide, we are going to answer the question “does sticky rice have gluten” with an in-depth analysis of whether or not sticky rice has gluten present in its composition. Moreover, we are going to discuss the difference between rice flour and glutinous rice flour along with the tips to store glutinous rice properly.
So without much ado, let’s dive in and figure out more about it.
Does sticky rice have gluten?
No, sticky rice does not have gluten present in it. It is gluten-free and thus people with gluten allergies can use the sticky rice without any problem.
The sticky rice, also known as the glutinous rice, has this name because the rice gets all sticky, mushy, and glue-like when it is cooked.
You can read how to make coconut black rice pudding here.
Is it safe to include glutinous rice in a gluten-free diet?
Yes, it is completely safe to include glutinous rice and glutinous rice flour in the gluten-free diet as they are completely gluten-free.
Is glutinous rice sweet in taste?
Sticky rice or glutinous rice is also known as sweet rice but they are not sweet. They are called so because of their usage in sweet dishes in Asia.
What is the difference between rice flour and glutinous rice flour?
When it comes to the rice flour and glutinous rice flour, both differ in the size and composition of the rice from which they are made.
Rice flour is generally made by grinding or milling the long or medium-grain rice. On the other hand, the glutinous rice flour is made by grinding or milling the short-grain rice.
The raw large and medium-grain rice is transparent in appearance. On the other hand, when it comes to color, the raw short-grain rice or sticky rice is white in color.
Rice is rich in starch and starch has two components, amylose, and amylopectin.
When it comes to the long or medium-grain rice, then they have more amylase present in their composition. On the other hand, the short-grain glutinous rice has more amylopectin present in its formulation. This amylopectin makes the glutinous rice stickier and moist. Moreover, the sticky rice also has more dextrin and maltose present in it.
How do you cook glutinous rice?
As the gelatinous rice is naturally more moist and stickier than other rice variants, therefore less amount of water is needed to cook them as compared to their counterparts. Owing to their soft nature, they are often soaked in water and afterward steamed instead of being boiled.
How long does glutinous rice last?
Cooked glutinous rice lasts for about 4-7 days in the fridge if stored in an air-tight container or plastic zipper bag at or below 40 °F. But it is recommended to use your cooked sticky rice within 2 days to enjoy its peak quality.
Uncooked glutinous rice lasts for ages when stored in an air-tight container, jar, or plastic zipper bag in a cool, dry, and dark place away from direct sunlight and heat. But it is recommended to use it within 6-8 months to enjoy its peak quality.
Moreover, you should never store your glutinous rice in a humid environment as moisture, sunlight and heat degrade the quality of the rice and shortens its shelf life.
How to properly store sticky rice?
- As glutinous rice and glutinous rice flour is a shelf-stable commodity, therefore you can store it in an air-tight container or plastic zipper bag in a cool, dry, and dark corner of your pantry or kitchen cabinet.
- If you want to store the glutinous rice flour in the refrigerator, then you should store it in sealed containers or plastic zipper bags to protect them against the moisture present in the fridge.
- You should let the cooked glutinous rice cool down thoroughly before storing them in an air-tight container or plastic zipper bag. If you put the hot cooked glutinous rice in the container then moisture will build up in it and will provide a suitable environment for microbes to grow.
- When it comes to cooked sticky/glutinous rice it is recommended to store them within 2 hours, they are cooked, in the air-tight container or plastic zipper bag in the refrigerator.
- It is recommended to store your cooked glutinous rice on one of the shelves of the refrigerator rather than the door as there is a lot of temperature fluctuation at the door of the fridge.
In this brief guide, we answered the question “does sticky rice have gluten” with an in-depth analysis of whether or not sticky rice has gluten present in its composition. Moreover, we discussed the difference between rice flour and glutinous rice flour along with the tips to store glutinous rice properly.