Does salt conduct electricity?

In this brief guide, we will answer the question “Does salt conduct electricity?” and discuss some other properties of salt.

Does salt conduct electricity?

No salt itself does not conduct electricity but when dissolved in water, it does. Table salt is sodium chloride (NaCl). The sodium and chlorine are strongly held together by ionic bonds. Each atom of sodium donates an electron to a chlorine atom. In doing so, sodium acquires a positive charge while chlorine acquires a negative charge.

When salt is dissolved in water, sodium and chlorine ions are separated. These freely floating ions help in conduction of electricity.

Does salt burn?

No, salt does not burn. Salt needs extremely high temperatures to catch fire. Many of us at some point would have wondered if salt can catch fire because it is probably the most common staple found in everyone’s kitchen.

The good thing is that it does not catch fire, it is inflammable. The extremely hot temperature required to put it on fire is so high that it is not possible to reach that temperature in your kitchen. 

What makes salt inflammable?

Salt is inflammable due to its chemical composition. Salt is made from sodium (Na) and chloride (Cl). Sodium has a positive charge while chlorine has a negative charge. They come together and form a very strong ionic bond which needs very high energy to break it. It is not possible to easily break such a strong ionic bond.

Now, sodium and chloride individually are very reactive. It is only when they are bonded together so strongly, they do not react as easily. 

Does salt melt?

Yes, salt melts at a very high temperature. The temperature required to melt salt is 800 degrees C. Such a high temperature can not be reached in your kitchen.

When the salt reaches 800 degrees C, it becomes a liquid. This liquid is called molten salt. So salt melts and not burns.

Can salt water be used to extinguish fire?

Salt water can be very effective in putting out fires. It is also said that seawater can be used to put out fires since it is so salty. However, salt would erode and make the equipment rusty so that is why it is not used.

Learn more about the properties of salt here.

Why is salt used as a preservative?

Salt is used as a preservative due to its hygroscopic nature and also because it is toxic to microorganisms. It is widely used to cure meat because when it is applied to meat, it absorbs the moisture from the meat leaving it dry and dehydrated. 

This dehydration leaves the meat less susceptible to contamination by bacteria. Dehydrated meat does not serve as a favorable condition for the survival of bacteria.

In addition, bacteria will get robbed off any water present inside its cells due to the presence of salt outside, again due to osmosis. So this is why salt has been used for years now as a natural preservative.

Does salt absorb moisture?

Yes, salt absorbs moisture. Salt is a hygroscopic substance that means it can absorb moisture. It does this through the phenomena of osmosis. Salt usually tends to dissolve in water but in cases where salt is in a higher concentration, it will draw out the moisture but would not dissolve. 

This is the reason why salt gets clumpy when there is excess moisture and also why salt gets stuck in a salt shaker.

Can salt absorb moisture from air and act as a dehumidifier?

Rock salt is more suitable for when you want to draw out excess moisture from air. It is an inexpensive method of dehumidifying air. 

Other FAQs about Salt that you may be interested in.

Does salt dissolve in vinegar?

Does salt dissolve in water?

Does salt draw out infection?


In this brief guide, we answered the question “Does salt conduct electricity?” and discussed some other properties of salt.


Was this helpful?

Thanks for your feedback!