In this brief guide, we will answer the question “Does potato lighten skin?”, and share DIY face mask recipes for you to try out at home. We will also list down other benefits of using potatoes for skin and discuss the side effects of using raw potatoes on skin. We will also list down other skin lightening agents that you can find at home.
Does potato lighten skin?
Yes, potato lightens skin although it is not clinically proven, but potato is believed to contain bleaching agents. Potatoes can lighten the skin or reduce the appearance of dark spots because of catecholase enzymes found in them.
Potatoes also have a bunch of lectins and niacinamide in them which also help in skin lightening.
How to use potatoes to lighten skin?
Let us share two DIY face bleaching tricks using potatoes for days when you want to get rid of a tan.
- Take one potato and peel it.
- Wash the potato thoroughly to get rid of any dirt.
- Dice the potato into smaller pieces and place these in a blender.
- Add some rose water to the blender as well.
- Add some lemon juice in it if you have oily skin type. Add honey if your skin is dry.
- Next, blend all the ingredients together until it forms a paste-like consistency.
- Apply this paste on your face for 15 minutes and wash it off.
This method is very good for bleaching your skin.
- Take a fresh potato and peel it.
- Wash it to remove any dirt.
- Next, take a grater and grate the potato.
- Use this grated potato to squeeze out potato use.
- Then take a bowl, and add potato juice in it. Add some lemon juice and honey to it as well.
- Mix until everything is fully combined.
- Use this mixture on your face to massage for 10 minutes.
- Leave it on for the next 5 minutes and then wash your face.
What are the other skin benefits of using potatoes?
Potatoes have many benefits for the skin however these are not clinically proven on humans, but are based on people’s own personal judgment after having experienced all of these benefits.
- Potatoes are believed to reduce inflammation which in turn helps in reducing acne related redness and swelling.
- Potatoes also contain vitamin C which helps build up collagen and subsequently improve skin elasticity.
- They also contain antioxidants, minerals and Vitamin C which might help in anti aging such as reducing the appearance of wrinkles.
- They are also said to give you glowing skin due to the presence of starch.
Are there any side effects of using potatoes on skin?
There is not a lot of research on this topic but so far we know that people who are allergic to latex or pollen may also be allergic to raw potatoes. Although it is not true for everyone, it is best to carry out a patch test on the skin before going ahead and applying it to your face.
To do a patch test, use the paste on your elbow and let it sit for a day or two. Check to see if any reaction has occurred. Any allergic reactions means that you should not use raw potatoes on your skin. If there is no reaction, then it is safe for you to use raw potatoes on your skin.
However if you do get an allergic reaction, the signs could be runny nose, itchy skin, redness, swelling and breathing difficulties.
Learn different ways of using potatoes for your skin here.
What other natural remedies can you use for skin lightening?
While there are cosmetic and medical products available for skin lightening, it is always better to use natural home remedies to minimize the risk of side effects.
You can use the following agents to lighten your skin at home and reduce the appearance of dark spots or hyperpigmentation.
- Aloe vera
- Orange peel
- Tea tree oil
- Green tea
Other FAQs about Potatoes that you may be interested in.
In this brief guide, we answered the question “Does potato lighten skin?”, and shared DIY face mask recipes for you to try out at home. We also listed down other benefits of using potatoes for skin and discussed the side effects of using raw potatoes on skin. We also listed down other skin lightening agents that you can find at home.