In this article, we will answer the following question: Does oregano go in spaghetti sauce? We will talk about the best use of oregano, its origin and history, and how to use it when cooking pasta!
Does oregano go in spaghetti sauce?
Oregano is great for spaghetti sauce, pizza Margarita, stuffed cannelloni, and all types of pasta sauces: wherever oregano meets tomato, it deliciously diffuses its aromatic power. Marinades too, like the Greek souvlaki skewers, have an incomparable taste thanks to the light peppery note of the aromatics.
Oregano can also be used fresh. The essential oils it contains are, however, more concentrated in dried herbs. In this case, small amounts are sufficient to season soups, salads, antipasti, fish and mussels, meats and vegetables, or rice. Its spicy character is also found in aromatic blends such as herbs from Provence and it is used in restaurant kitchens for its southern flavor.
The aroma of oregano in spaghetti sauce
The intense bouquet of oregano surprises above all with its powerful aroma, as well as it’s light and delicate peppery and bitter note. It is also referred to as wild marjoram, which brings you back to some similarities in terms of tastes. Both aromatic herbs belong to the same species of oregano. Unlike marjoram, oregano has the allure of the harsh and sweet note that is very popular in tomato sauces.
Harvesting of oregano takes place during flowering, during the summer months. For this, we cut only the tip of the twigs of the perennial plant. After a delicate drying, we sort the too thick stems and we keep only the fine tips which will later be chopped or ground.
Origin and history of oregano
Oregano is an aromatic plant native to the mountains of the Mediterranean basin. In ancient times, the Greeks appreciated the wild grass that grew there and used it to season fish. Here, however, the plant remained unknown for a long time. It was only in the Middle Ages, according to the writings, that it made its appearance again.
Under the popular name of garden oregano or marjoram, the medicinal properties of the fragrant herb were touted. It is said that witches hunted the devil with the help of the plant. A tuft of oregano and valerian in the stable was to protect the animals from the dark forces. Brides also put a branch of oregano in their shoes or in their bouquet.
Oregano would be almost a thing of the culinary past if a Neapolitan pizza maker in the 19th century had not, in the 19th century, made his favorite dish known beyond borders with deliciously aromatic herbs. With the triumphant success of pizza worldwide, oregano became more and more common. Today, it is impossible to do without in our kitchens. It is the most popular of the herbs.
Here’s how to correctly use oregano in spaghetti sauce
- Oregano needs to cook for at least 15 minutes to release all of its aromas.
- The taste of dried oregano leaves is more potent than that of fresh herbs, so use them sparingly.
- With rosemary, fennel, basil, sage, thyme, and hyssop, oregano makes up the famous blend of herbs called “herbs of Provence“
Spaghetti with oregano
Spaghetti with oregano is delicious and very easy to make. In my house, we all like it very much, so it is a dish that is eaten quite often. Here I tell you how we prepare it so that you are encouraged to try it.
- The pasta is first cooked in a saucepan with plenty of water to which the bay leaf, salt, onion, and a teaspoon of oil are added.
- In another pot, cook the tomatoes for a couple of minutes so that it is easy to peel them.
- When the pasta is al dente, drain and rinse with cold water.
- Put the tomatoes, a very small piece of onion, and a piece of garlic in the blender, and blend everything together.
- In a saucepan on the fire add a tablespoon of margarine and, when it is melted, add the tomato sauce, seasoning it with the salt and half the bouillon cube. Add the dried oregano to taste and let it boil a little to a boil. Finally, the pasta is added so that it takes on the flavor of the oregano, and it is given a few turns before serving.
- As you have seen, it is very simple to make this pasta with oregano, now you only have to prepare it so that you can also see that it is delicious.
The best way to get the pasta to be perfect is to follow the manufacturer’s instructions that are printed on the package since they know perfectly the cooking times.
In this article, we answered the following question: Does oregano go in spaghetti sauce? We talked about the best use of oregano, its origin and history, and how to use it when cooking pasta!
Spaghetti with oregano is delicious and very easy to make. Our advice is to also buy or make and oregano oil. It is the ideal base for dressings and marinades. Just fill a suitable container with a good quality vegetable oil, add the dried oregano, and let it stand for four weeks in a dark place.
If you have any comments, suggestions, or questions on the content, please let us know!