Does Muscle Milk Stunt Growth?
In this brief article, we will answer the question, “does Muscle Milk stunt growth?” and discuss the possible effects of Muscle Milk on growth, as well as other functionality, benefits, safety, and possible side effects of the product and what factors can affect growth.
Does Muscle Milk Stunt Growth?
No, Muscle Milk does not stunt growth.
In fact, it is almost impossible for any supplement to stunt growth since the latter is caused by an inadequate supply of nutrition, an illness, or some genetic condition.
The possible causes of an impairment in growth or development are malnutrition, including insufficient ingestion of macronutrients, such as proteins, or micronutrients, such as vitamins and minerals (6).
However, growth is determined also by factors such as genetic and environmental determinants, as well as by hormonal functions and physical activity. Even having a proper nutritional behavior, individuals can have different body developments (1).
The insufficient physical activity can also lead to a decreased height in growing children (7).
Muscle Milk, on the other hand, is a great source of overall nutrition that can help overcome illnesses related to malnutrition.
Can Muscle Milk Help You Grow Taller?
No, Muscle Milk cannot make you grow taller. Muscle Milk does provide some nutrients, including proteins and calcium, which can help your muscles and bones grow.
However, as mentioned above, height is an individual characteristic determined not only by the ingested nutrients, but also by genetic and environmental factors (1,6,7).
Due to the presence of milk whey in its composition, Muscle Milk can stimulate the synthesis of muscle protein in the body, upon proper physical activity. This can be explained by the rapid digestibility of the milk whey proteins, releasing amino acids that are highly absorbable.
According to studies, whey proteins can better stimulate muscle development than other proteins, such as casein and soy proteins (2). However, body muscle development, as well as height, is not as efficient when physical activities, especially resistance exercises are not realized.
How Does Muscle Milk Work?
Muscle Milk works providing athletes with medium-chain triglycerides, which are readily broken down and utilized by the body to produce heat and energy for a better and more energetic workout.
Muscle Milk also works as a source of whey proteins, which are considered optimal for muscle development and muscle repair, especially by the stimulation of resistance exercises (2).
Exercise alone does not lead to muscle growth, as the muscle activity can lead to both synthesis and breakdown. By the additional intake of proteins, the building of new muscle tissue is possible. Whey proteins are rapidly digested and readily available after digestion, resulting in improved results, when compared to other types of proteins.
Does Muscle Milk have any side effects?
Yes, there are possible effects related to the use of whey protein supplements. Some adverse effects are (3):
- Skin problems, such as acne
- Damage to kidney and liver: the supplementation with whey can lead to the overproduction of urea, which is resulting from the protein metabolism
- Although the consumption of moderate quantities of whey protein affects positively the gut microbiota, this effect can be inverted and lead to the stimulation of harmful bacteria in the intestines, with the overconsumption of whey proteins, as reported in a study
- Allergic reactions, as well as gastrointestinal discomfort can occur in sensitive individuals.
What could possibly stunt growth?
Factors that could possibly stunt growth are (1,2,6,7):
Genetic factors: in general, the height of an individual is affected by the height of their parents, as height is a genetic characteristic
Malnutrition: insufficient ingestion of proteins, vitamins and minerals can lead to improper growth, as well as to mental disabilities. Lack of iron, vitamin B12 and fatty acids are examples of causes of causes of growing impairments
Infectious diseases: infections or other diseases can affect and even retard body development, as they can lead to the loss of body mass and malabsorption of nutrients
Physical activity: sedentarism and insufficient physical activities can affect both weight and height in children and also the development of body muscle in elderly
In this brief article, we answered the question, “does Muscle Milk stunt growth?” and discussed the possible effects of Muscle Milk on growth, as well as other functionality, benefits, safety, and possible side effects of the product and what factors can affect growth.
- Bogin, Barry. Patterns of human growth. 2020, 88. Cambridge University Press.
- Devries, Michaela C., and Stuart M. Phillips. Supplemental protein in support of muscle mass and health: advantage whey. J food sci, 2015, 80, A8-A15.
- Vasconcelos, Quezia Damaris Jones Severino, Tatiana Paschoalette Rodrigues Bachur, and Gislei Frota Aragão. Whey protein supplementation and its potentially adverse effects on health: a systematic review. App Phys Nutr Metab, 2021, 46, 27-33.
- Solak, Birsen Bulut, and Nihat Akin. Health benefits of whey protein: a review. J Food Sci Eng, 2012, 2, 129.
- Kumar, Khan Sharun, et al. Major Health Effects of Casein and Whey Proteins Present in Cow Milk: A Narrative Review. Indian Vet J, 2021, 98 09-19.
- Ali SS. A brief review of risk-factors for growth and developmental delay among preschool children in developing countries. Adv Biomed Res. 2013, 30, 2-91.
- Wen, Juan, Lijun Zhu, and Chenbo Ji. Changes in weight and height among Chinese preschool children during COVID-19 school closures. Int J Obes, 2021, 45, 2269-2273.